Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on 2 weeks of setup and here are my levels so far, how much longer roughly till I can add fish?

ammonia 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
pH 7.8-8

OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Till ammonia holds 0 for 1 week straight or longer easy does it take it slow it’ll pay off in the long run
I’m worried my fishless cycle has stalled. As I have hardly any nitrates but a lot of nitrites. And a few days ago I had 20-40ppm nitrates. After that test I dosed some more ammonia into the tank and then waited a few days and then above test are the results from that. I lost all my nitrates practically

AS

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any bacteria? If you had nitrates and they’re 0 now you had a reading because of the nitrites. What test kits are you using if api .25 could actually be 0. Cycles don’t stall once bacteria is there it’s there unless you completely dry out the rock.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any bacteria? If you had nitrates and they’re 0 now you had a reading because of the nitrites. What test kits are you using if api .25 could actually be 0. Cycles don’t stall once bacteria is there it’s there unless you completely dry out the rock.
I added a full bottle of dr Tim’s one and only bacteria. It treated up to 30 gallons and I have a 13.5 gallon tank

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you used live rock that was in a tank and added bacteria you’re good for fish now.
I think him dosing ammonia is causing issues right now I believe

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with one small fish wait a month add another 13.5 gallons is small so be careful in fish selection. Adding ammonia will only increase nitrates so you don’t have to do that again.
Yeah I’m done adding ammonia, I’m going to just wait and test again tomorrow and see where eveyrhting is at. Would you recommend a 50% water change right now?

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I’m done adding ammonia, I’m going to just wait and test again tomorrow and see where eveyrhting is at. Would you recommend a 50% water change right now?
I would yeah let your tank ride maybe add a little more bacteria give it a week the test again what test kit are you using?

Nutramar Foods

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your nitrates again throw out ammonia and nitrite no longer needed. If nitrates are above 5 I would do a waterchange otherwise let it be. Add one healthy fish and enjoy. Make sure it’s eating swimming and breathing normal no visible imperfections at lfs and feed it well.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your nitrates again throw out ammonia and nitrite no longer needed. If nitrates are above 5 I would do a waterchange otherwise let it be. Add one healthy fish and enjoy. Make sure it’s eating swimming and breathing normal no visible imperfections at lfs and feed it well.
It’s hard to tell where nitrate is because I’m just going off the shade of the color. It’s close to 0 though. I’m not adding any fish when my nitrites are reading 5ppm+

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m on 2 weeks of setup and here are my levels so far, how much longer roughly till I can add fish?

ammonia 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
pH 7.8-8
Agree on API giving false readings and its the other way around, They often read lower than shown. For cycling. the typical process and green light is adding your bacteria and then ammonia chloride. Then you want to monitor ammonia and when your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
As for adding a fish, to confirm your test results, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on API giving false readings and its the other way around, They often read lower than shown. For cycling. the typical process and green light is adding your bacteria and then ammonia chloride. Then you want to monitor ammonia and when your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
As for adding a fish, to confirm your test results, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Gotcha, I’m just worried that nitrites are sky high right now

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back