Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for advice. So I set up my new tank (2nd hand tank) 11 days ago, 300litre display and roughly 60-70litre sump. I added ATM colony, 2 Picasso clowns and a coral beauty. The 3 fish had been in QT for 3-4 weeks and treated with waterlife cuprazin. Scape is made up of mostly dry Marco rock and substrate is natures ocean live sand. Been testing daily and since the first day have never detected ammonia (also have a Seachem ammonia alert badge in the tank). Detected minimal nitrites for the first 5-7 days but they have all of a sudden went up to nearly 0.25. Haven’t bothered testing nitrates because as I understand it the nitrites could give a false reading. PH 8.15-8.3, alk 7.5-7.7, phosphate 0. Fish look happy and have fed lightly since adding them and the bacteria. Can someone tell me what stage I am at in the cycle please before I add clean up crew and any other fish

7A4BDE01-E501-4A05-B957-189805A45737.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detected minimal nitrites for the first 5-7 days but they have all of a sudden went up to nearly 0.25. Haven’t bothered testing nitrates because as I understand it the nitrites could give a false reading. PH 8.15-8.3, alk 7.5-7.7, phosphate 0. Fish look happy and have fed lightly since adding them and the bacteria. Can someone tell me what stage I am at in the cycle
The increase in no2 tells you that you have bacteria oxidizing ammonia to no2 - nitrite. Your food inputs are too small to see any increase in ammonia, but now that you see NO2 being produced, you can go to normal feeding - your tank will be able to handle it.
once the tank can handle normal feeding, I think adding fish would be fine.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you're well on your way to being cycled. But nitrite interference isn't a reason to not check nitrates. It's not that much - at 0.25 nitrite (depending on kit) it'll be in neighborhood of 2-3 ppm nitrate. You'll be seeing much more nitrate than that as your tank fully matures with the nitrogen cycle.

You've already added fish to cycle (tank is large enough to handle that without ammonia going toxic as you've seen - but good you're keeping eye on it) so may as well go with clean up crew - start small.

If nitrates get to 40-50 ppm do a WC, don't worry too much about nitrites (not toxic) but nice to be aware.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Alexmcm81

Alexmcm81

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you're well on your way to being cycled. But nitrite interference isn't a reason to not check nitrates. It's not that much - at 0.25 nitrite (depending on kit) it'll be in neighborhood of 2-3 ppm nitrate. You'll be seeing much more nitrate than that as your tank fully matures with the nitrogen cycle.

You've already added fish to cycle (tank is large enough to handle that without ammonia going toxic as you've seen - but good you're keeping eye on it) so may as well go with clean up crew - start small.

If nitrates get to 40-50 ppm do a WC, don't worry too much about nitrites (not toxic) but nice to be aware.
Thanks. Using salifert kits for all testing

OP
OP
Alexmcm81

Alexmcm81

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The increase in no2 tells you that you have bacteria oxidizing ammonia to no2 - nitrite. Your food inputs are too small to see any increase in ammonia, but now that you see NO2 being produced, you can go to normal feeding - your tank will be able to handle it.
once the tank can handle normal feeding, I think adding fish would be fine.
Would you think it’s a safe bet to maybe start adding some hardy coral (gsp, Zoas and maybe leathers) to add to the bio diversity or would you say it’s too soon?

Salt Creep

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks a little early for a CUC. Maybe add some pods and feed phyto for a bit until you start seeing green film building up on the glass. Start small. I have a 75 I’m just setting up and I plan to get a cleaner pack for a 30 gallon the start and then add another if needed in the future.

As mentioned, if you are detecting nitrites then there is ammonia being processed.

It seems you fish are not in the display yet. I would add them once you start seeing film algae building on the glass and then think about a small CUC to help clean up the food the fish miss. Until then keep ghost feeding every couple days just to keep the cycle going.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OfficeReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Alexmcm81 but it would seem you are possibly in the cycle now, especially if you are seeing nitrite. I would start with partial water changes now and continue to monitor. Many folks will false feed and add bacteria in the beginning to skip this process. Regardless, I think you'll be fine with this volume if you start with partial water changes now.

OP
OP
Alexmcm81

Alexmcm81

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick update. Just tested nitrates and they are reading 5 on the salifert kit (had to test by holding the vial against the white card which read 50, then divided that by 10 as per instructions which gives me a reading of 5)

Nutramar Foods

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Just tested nitrates and they are reading 5 on the salifert kit (had to test by holding the vial against the white card which read 50, then divided that by 10 as per instructions which gives me a reading of 5)
So...some nitrates, not a lot. Likely just starting to produce enough bacteria to support your current load. Just go slow (always) with CUC (don't follow any snail/gallon rules - just add a few/half dozen whatever the lowest bundle is). Keep an eye on the parameters. Be ready for WC if needed.

OP
OP
Alexmcm81

Alexmcm81

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...some nitrates, not a lot. Likely just starting to produce enough bacteria to support your current load. Just go slow (always) with CUC (don't follow any snail/gallon rules - just add a few/half dozen whatever the lowest bundle is). Keep an eye on the parameters. Be ready for WC if needed.
When it comes to CUC should I quarantine. I trust my lfs but will be quarantining any fish I get as good practice

Salt Creep

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to CUC should I quarantine. I trust my lfs but will be quarantining any fish I get as good practice

If they came from a system with fish I would. Even if they didn’t there is a chance they are carrying something you might not see.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely

Have I not QT’d CUC before and didn’t have issues I could directly link to that? Absolutely.

If you already have the ability to do it I would. The shells can carry parasites and pests.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back