Cycling fresh water tank and All the water parameter went 0!

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

I started cycling my tank with Fritz Turbo 700 and 2 ppm of ammonia from their other product. After a week, I had 2 ppm ammonia and 5 ppm nitrite, so it was clear that the cycle wasn’t progressing as expected. I did a 70% water change and began using Seachem Stability along with ghost feeding (equivalent to feeding for about 10 non-existent fish). Over the week of using Stability, ammonia levels rose to 2 ppm, then dropped to 0, nitrite levels went up to 4 ppm, then also dropped to 0. However, I am not seeing any nitrate; it's also at 0. So, right now, all the parameters are 0.

Since I have a lot of plants, I considered that they might be consuming all the nitrate, I bought PPS-Pro to support them and will start dosing tonight. However, I know that PPS-Pro doesn’t significantly affect nitrate levels.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any sign that shows my tank is cycling, or could it be broken with these 0 parameters?
2. Can something like Seachem Nitrogen help raise the nitrate levels and assist in completing the cycling process?
3. Should I do nothing and juts wait more to see if the nitrate goes up?

My tank is 15 gallons, with a pH of 6.8, well-planted, Delta 90 Canister filter, good water flow, temperature of 78.5, and as I said I'm ghost feeding. I use API test kit.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank can absorb ammonia, clams and corals love the stuff. I would expect that plants in a freshwater tank would also eat it up, same as NO3. IF you want to add fish they do not like nitrite or ammonia in freshwater but with plants taking it out of the water, who needs bacteria?

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion would be, to stop using the Seachem stability and wait 24 hours test for Nitrates.
Yes the 7 days of dosing is passed yesterday, so I'll not using it anymore.
Ok sure, I'll wait to see what would be the changes, hopefully with some nitrates.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank can absorb ammonia, clams and corals love the stuff. I would expect that plants in a freshwater tank would also eat it up, same as NO3. IF you want to add fish they do not like nitrite or ammonia in freshwater but with plants taking it out of the water, who needs bacteria?
So do you think my tank is cycled because ammonia and nitrite are 0? would it be safe to add fish or it's better to wait some more days?

I think I need to keep ghost feeding still if I don't add fish.

Thank you

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been awhile since I had freshwater planted tanks. Check ammonia and nitrites also if you are going to ghost feed still just so you can see if the ammonia and nitrite is getting used up. You may be able to add ammonia to .2 ppm and test 24 hours after that if no ammonia and Nitrites add fish. then you know the plants are handling it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is functioning like a "cycled" tank but with plants and a Delta 90 canister filter running it might not really fit the classical definition as far as bacteria colonies eating NH3, NO2 (and NO3) but something seems to be. No way to tell from here how the numbers are getting to zero. I suspect it is safe.

What kind of fish do you want to add?

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been awhile since I had freshwater planted tanks. Check ammonia and nitrites also if you are going to ghost feed still just so you can see if the ammonia and nitrite is getting used up. You may be able to add ammonia to .2 ppm and test 24 hours after that if no ammonia and Nitrites add fish. then you know the plants are handling it.
That's a good advise, I'll do it.

Thank you

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is functioning like a "cycled" tank but with plants and a Delta 90 canister filter running it might not really fit the classical definition as far as bacteria colonies eating NH3, NO2 (and NO3) but something seems to be. No way to tell from here how the numbers are getting to zero. I suspect it is safe.

What kind of fish do you want to add?
That make scenes. I just wanted to make sure the cycle is not broken.
I have plan to get some Galaxy rasbora and cory, probably 8 and 4, and I want to check if my Betta can live peacefully with them :)

Thank You

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said, if it's heavily planted you are likely not making much nitrate because it is being consumed at previous stages of the process.

for the sake of general tank health, I'd want to see some nitrates. dosing nitrate will not add to the cycling process though.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said, if it's heavily planted you are likely not making much nitrate because it is being consumed at previous stages of the process.

for the sake of general tank health, I'd want to see some nitrates. dosing nitrate will not add to the cycling process though.
So as I understand the cycle is not finished yet and I need to wait more to see some nitrate, is all I can do?

Thank you

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I understand the cycle is not finished yet and I need to wait more to see some nitrate, is all I can do?

Thank you
If ammonia is 0 then you will see no nitrates till plants start to die. plants prefer transitional stages (ammonium and then nitrite) within the process to nitrate, but the only thing that I can think will indicate sufficient nitrifying bac. is the presence of no3 that came from ammonia. since you seem to have either conversion or uptake quickly, I wouldn't worry too much about starting stocking. start slow though, the rasboras first then later the corys, then betta (only last because aggression). test daily if you do this and don't let ammonia climb too high.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah Galaxy rasboras! I've wanted a tank of those forever now, I'm so jealous.

I second the comment stating it's likely fine to add in some of your fish, and monitor parameters. Without knowing what kind of plants you've dropped in (some absorb nutrients faster than others), and with no fish in the tank to test with, it's impossible to know 100% for sure, but if the harmful things we usually look out for in a cycle remain at 0 whether through cycle or waterchange to help, they should be alright.

I'd love to see a picture, small planted tanks are a favorite.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah Galaxy rasboras! I've wanted a tank of those forever now, I'm so jealous.

I second the comment stating it's likely fine to add in some of your fish, and monitor parameters. Without knowing what kind of plants you've dropped in (some absorb nutrients faster than others), and with no fish in the tank to test with, it's impossible to know 100% for sure, but if the harmful things we usually look out for in a cycle remain at 0 whether through cycle or waterchange to help, they should be alright.

I'd love to see a picture, small planted tanks are a favorite.
Haha, yes! I was lucky to find them at our LFS, but I was nervous that someone might buy them before me, so I’ve been checking them out every day! Lol

I currently have Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, some moss on my driftwood, Anubias Nana and Golden, and two Alternanthera Reineckii on the way. I also have 20-25 floating Frogbit, Alternanthera Cardinalis, Ludwigia Palustris, and Jungle Vallisneria.

I don’t have a recent picture as I’ve added more Anubias and swords, but in this photo, it doesn't look much plant while the back of the aquarium is almost full. I may need to re-arrange them, as I didn’t notice this issue before.

So, you think I can go ahead and add fish? That’s the best news I could get!

Thank you!

IMG_3486.jpg

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ammonia is 0 then you will see no nitrates till plants start to die. plants prefer transitional stages (ammonium and then nitrite) within the process to nitrate, but the only thing that I can think will indicate sufficient nitrifying bac. is the presence of no3 that came from ammonia. since you seem to have either conversion or uptake quickly, I wouldn't worry too much about starting stocking. start slow though, the rasboras first then later the corys, then betta (only last because aggression). test daily if you do this and don't let ammonia climb too high.
Understood, I may start adding some fish soon then.

Thank you

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes! I was lucky to find them at our LFS, but I was nervous that someone might buy them before me, so I’ve been checking them out every day! Lol

I currently have Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, some moss on my driftwood, Anubias Nana and Golden, and two Alternanthera Reineckii on the way. I also have 20-25 floating Frogbit, Alternanthera Cardinalis, Ludwigia Palustris, and Jungle Vallisneria.

I don’t have a recent picture as I’ve added more Anubias and swords, but in this photo, it doesn't look much plant while the back of the aquarium is almost full. I may need to re-arrange them, as I didn’t notice this issue before.

So, you think I can go ahead and add fish? That’s the best news I could get!

Thank you!

IMG_3486.jpg

What a lovely planted tank! Your floaters, stems, and quick growers are going to typically draw the most baddies from the water column - I'm actually working on getting some red root floaters for my tanks, plants with access to open air are usually especially effective.

I think you should honestly be fine to drop some fish in there, just keep an eye on them. You're double lucky that your LFS has the rasbora locally and is keeping them for any decent period of time, I've heard they can be a little temperamental to water difference hard/soft and PH balance based on where they originated and were kept.

Good luck!

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a lovely planted tank! Your floaters, stems, and quick growers are going to typically draw the most baddies from the water column - I'm actually working on getting some red root floaters for my tanks, plants with access to open air are usually especially effective.

I think you should honestly be fine to drop some fish in there, just keep an eye on them. You're double lucky that your LFS has the rasbora locally and is keeping them for any decent period of time, I've heard they can be a little temperamental to water difference hard/soft and PH balance based on where they originated and were kept.

Good luck!
Thank you very much :)

Yeah, I'm really lucky about this, I heard that too that they are a bit sensitive, luckily my PH was stable during last week till my last test yesterday at 6.8, I was just concerned about the nitrate, that's why I post this thread to ask friends like you who have more experience than me to make sure.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tonight's test showed 5ppm of Nitrate! Zero Ammonia, and zero Nitrite. The 7-day Seachem Stability dose is over, so I didn't add any more of it. I also didn't perform any water changes. I just continued ghost feeding.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back