Cyanoacrylate super glue + baking soda for aquarium use, a possible mechanism and a failed application

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across a few(YT) different places(thread) suggesting that baking soda acts as an accelerant for cyanoacrylate super glue, and that the resulting matrix is suitable for reef tank application.

Playing with it, you can mix it into the gel, and it solidifies quite quickly. Thin liquid suprerglue is said to be better as it wouldn't need mixing to combine.
I wondered if this could be used for those annoying mushroom corals that wont attach to anything. Most people just put them in deep cups with rubble rock and very low flow until they attach after some days.

You typically can't just glue the coral to anything, because the coral mucus acts as a barrier preventing direct connection between the super glue and the tissue, so I tried treating the coral like a piece of chicken and patting it dry with paper towel and "flouring" it with baking soda. Perhaps the baking soda that was adhered to the moist tissue would allow the cyanoacrylate to form some amount of bond directly to the coral? Aside from it working mechanically, lots of ways it could fail: it might be pretty stressful to the coral, or the coral might just slough off those attached cells and float away again.

I only had gel superglue for this, so I took a frag plug and put a dollop of mixed gel superglue+baking soda, I then put a drop of unmixed superglue gel on top of the dollop, and placed the baking soda "floured" ricordea on the gel dollop and gently pressed the whole thing together with a paper towel and held. After a minute, I unwrapped and carefully lowered into a cup of tank water, and after another 10 minutes in the tank water it seemed decently well attached, so I moved it onto the sandbed of my tank. The section it was on had decent flow, but the ricordea stuck in place.
20221219_163606.jpg

Here you can see some of the bubbles that formed out of the cyanoacrylate+baking soda mix. The coral stayed well attached in this section even with decent flow for a couple of hours. The next day I checked on it, and bummer. It was gone.
My best guess here is that the mixture was able to actually adhere directly to the coral tissue, but mushroom corals can shed tissue, leave behind parts of their feet without too much trouble and this synthetic attachment didn't make the coral want to stay, so it might have sloughed off this unnatural attachment. So no dice on this method. Oh well!

on the actual reaction of cyanoacrylate and sodium bicarbonate, below is a proposed mechanism which I have no idea if it's correct.

"A monomer, such as methylcyanoacrylate (the substance in super glue), with two electron -withdrawing substituents can be polymerized with very mild nucleophiles such as Br, CN, amines or OH. The monomer polymerizes on contact with many surfaces. Most often it is initialized by the presence of water (the OH ions from water). If you have sodium bicarbonte present, traces of water (from the surface or air) will react and make NaOH. The reaction is the following:

NaHCO3 + H2O -----> NaOH + H2CO3NaOH

is a very good starter of the polymerization reaction. It will make the reaction go very fast."....

I'm curious if this is accurate and what is actually going on. Might be nice to have a little better control over the hardening rate of this glue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NaHCO3 + H2O -----> NaOH + H2CO3NaOH

is a very good starter of the polymerization reaction. It will make the reaction go very fast."....

I'm curious if this is accurate and what is actually going on. Might be nice to have a little better control over the hardening rate of this glue.

That part of it is possibly a little misleading (I'm not sure if any actual NaOH solid is formed as opposed to Na+ and OH- in a very small amount of moisture), but in my opinion, the overall written description is basically accurate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That part of it is possibly a little misleading (I'm not sure if any actual NaOH solid is formed as opposed to Na+ and OH- in a very small amount of moisture), but in my opinion, the overall written description is basically accurate.
Thanks, Randy.

and I can tell you it only works with the liquid, not the gel. The gel doesnt mix well enough.
Good point. I should have done my messing around with the liquid instead of the gel. Maybe I'll give the mushroom glueing another shot.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To wrap this up, I gave this another shot with the thin liquid cyanoacrylate super glue, instead of the gel.
On the plug, baking soda, drops of glue, a few grains of sand on top for roughness between the two glue applications. On the mushroom side, after I patted it dry, I "floured" it with baking soda then did drops of super glue.

20221230_143234-COLLAGE.jpg

I then pushed them together with the paper towel and held for a minute, then lowered into tank water to cure for another ~10min.

20221230_143526.jpg

After that, it was nicely attached, so I removed the paper towel and popped it into the tank, on a section with decent flow. It stayed for a few hours, so it made a nice solid bond to even to the gelatinous mushroom coral. But the next day the coral pulled itself away, it would seem.
20221230_144110-COLLAGE.jpg

It left behind some coral-colored material on the glue plug - so the glue likely did attach quite well to the tissue directly. It just doesn't matter because a mushroom will do whatever a mushroom wants to do. :)

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back