Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, a few lps and sps coral, and a 2 year cycled tank. I’ve only had it about a month, but bought a used running system and completed a mini cycle after move. Coral and fish are doing well, except for a Monti digi frag that is slowly going pale.

I have the start of red slime cyano collecting on my rocks, as well as a ton of new algae. It all has exploded in less than a week. The Cyano is small, but has faintly started to spread. Last Monday I started feeding some powdered coral food with the frozen mysis. My nutrients must have exploded. I’ve started doing a much smaller amount of powdered since the algae has taken off.

Based on my explosion of algae, it seems I have too many nutrients. Based on the Cyano, it seems like nutrients would be too low. What is happening?? Bonus points if you can tell me why my Monti frag is bleaching.

my feeding schedule is:
MWF: 1/4 cube frozen mysis and powdered coral food
Every other day: small pinch of flake food

Using Hanna meters:
Nitrate HR: 0.6 ppm
Phosphorus: 28ppb = 0.086 ppm phosphate
Alk: 10.3 dkh

Ph stays around 8.2
Temp 78

A9A2D320-A124-4886-A48C-A0837513705D.jpeg 348C2156-AA36-4A6E-9043-541E36F6DD06.jpeg 947E0EEB-CA98-4C7E-B8A1-5F8D960505D6.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, a few lps and sps coral, and a 2 year cycled tank. I’ve only had it about a month, but bought a used running system and completed a mini cycle after move. Coral and fish are doing well, except for a Monti digi frag that is slowly going pale.

I have the start of red slime cyano collecting on my rocks, as well as a ton of new algae. It all has exploded in less than a week. The Cyano is small, but has faintly started to spread. Last Monday I started feeding some powdered coral food with the frozen mysis. My nutrients must have exploded. I’ve started doing a much smaller amount of powdered since the algae has taken off.

Based on my explosion of algae, it seems I have too many nutrients. Based on the Cyano, it seems like nutrients would be too low. What is happening?? Bonus points if you can tell me why my Monti frag is bleaching.

my feeding schedule is:
MWF: 1/4 cube frozen mysis and powdered coral food
Every other day: small pinch of flake food

Using Hanna meters:
Nitrate HR: 0.6 ppm
Phosphorus: 28ppb = 0.086 ppm phosphate
Alk: 10.3 dkh

Ph stays around 8.2
Temp 78

View attachment 3069347 View attachment 3069348 View attachment 3069349
It doesn't look too bad to me.

Keep in mind algae is normal.

It looks perhaps like not enough algae eater, rather than too much algae.

I'd chuck in 10-15 assorted snails.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A move with a mini cycle includes a mini ugly phase. Get nitrates to 10. Reduce lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Get diverse cleaner crew and increase flow to cyano areas. Weekly water changes siphon what you can. Add pods and phytoplankton. Dose PNS probio which is a heterotrophic bacteria that gets rid of algae causing organic waste.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

slogan315

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. Makes me feel better about my situation. Weekly water change is happening tomorrow, and I’ll siphon what I can then. I have 6 Trochus and 10 hermits currently. Pods, phyto and a tuxedo urchin come early next week. Hoping they can keep up with the algae. I have 1 mp40 and it’s a 60 gallon cube. Seems like the Cyano spots are the highest flow areas in the tank. But I’ve been looking for a gyre to get rid of some dead spots.

so you’re saying I need to increase my nitrates to get rid of the Cyano. And increase my cuc to keep up with the rate of algae?

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. Makes me feel better about my situation. Weekly water change is happening tomorrow, and I’ll siphon what I can then. I have 6 Trochus and 10 hermits currently. Pods, phyto and a tuxedo urchin come early next week. Hoping they can keep up with the algae. I have 1 mp40 and it’s a 60 gallon cube. Seems like the Cyano spots are the highest flow areas in the tank. But I’ve been looking for a gyre to get rid of some dead spots.

so you’re saying I need to increase my nitrates to get rid of the Cyano. And increase my cuc to keep up with the rate of algae?
Nitrates feed your coral. Without Nitrates your corals starve.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back