Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first project about a month and a half ago. The tank was crystal clear then got an algae bloom that was primarily green algae and diatoms I believe. But on my frags I can’t tell if it’s cyano or brown algae, and whether or not to remove or let the green algae it over. It doesn’t seem to inhibit growth, because the chalice grows and so does the acan but idk.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience a variety of ugly phases during the first year and starting corals in a new tank is difficult to sustain. Get a diverse cleaner crew. Moderate your light usage with blue and uv only no whites. Weekly water changes. Add pods and phytoplankton to build biodiversity. Don't add corals to soon or you will likely not have stable parameters to sustain them

OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience a variety of ugly phases during the first year and starting corals in a new tank is difficult to sustain. Get a diverse cleaner crew. Moderate your light usage with blue and uv only no whites. Weekly water changes. Add pods and phytoplankton to build biodiversity. Don't add corals to soon or you will likely not have stable parameters to sustain them
It’s a 5g all in one fluval, the percula is the only thing that will eat pods. Will I not have to worry about them overtaking my tank? I have 2 nassarius and 1 margarita, wasn’t sure what number is sufficient for a 5g

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 5g all in one fluval, the percula is the only thing that will eat pods. Will I not have to worry about them overtaking my tank? I have 2 nassarius and 1 margarita, wasn’t sure what number is sufficient for a 5g
Add some pods and phyto. Nassarius don't eat algae. They eat detritus in the sand. Add a couple trochus and Estrella snails to clean rocks. Focus on maintaining good numbers. Let the tank run its course. It's just part of the maturing process. Siphon up what you can during water changes.

xiongsy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try spraying hydrogen peroxide on the plug then dropping it back in. Not sure if it'll affect acans but I dose 3% @ 5ml to keep things at bay. I have 35% on its way and will be trying 1 ml per 25 gallon. We'll see how it goes. I have sps and 2 haddonis, pair of clowns, filefish, and crabs.

OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try spraying hydrogen peroxide on the plug then dropping it back in. Not sure if it'll affect acans but I dose 3% @ 5ml to keep things at bay. I have 35% on its way and will be trying 1 ml per 25 gallon. We'll see how it goes. I have sps and 2 haddonis, pair of clowns, filefish, and crabs.
Let me know how that goes, I’m not lazy and I’ll put my hands in the tank. I just wanna know how much can change with Mother Nature and how much I need to step in.

Avast

xiongsy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how that goes, I’m not lazy and I’ll put my hands in the tank. I just wanna know how much can change with Mother Nature and how much I need to step in.
Just dosed .5 ml 35% h202 straight into back chamber in my 22.4 fiji cube. Both anemones took notice. Now, it's just a waiting game. Will continue .5 ml per day to see if there are any changes.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back