Custom 1.75 Gallon Shallow Pico

Frugal Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my thread on my custom 1.75-gallon shallow pico reef tank! This project has been a labor of love, and I’m excited to share the journey and the unique setup that makes this small aquarium thrive.

The 1.75-gallon tank is designed to be shallow, allowing for a beautiful aquascape and easy maintenance. The shallow depth creates a stunning visual effect, perfect for showcasing small coral frags and colorful inhabitants.

The aquascape features a mix of live rock and sand to create a natural habitat. I opted for a minimalist approach, focusing on a few key pieces of rockwork to provide hiding spots for inhabitants while maximizing swimming space (if i want to add a fish in the future…)

Tank Specs

• Custom glass tank: 25x20x15 cm
• Hang-on-back filter
• 4-watt DIY LED light (no adjustable features)
• Computer fan and ceiling fan for temperature control

Setup Overview

• The tank is 1 month old
• Weekly water changes: 50-100%
• Only tested salinity.

Current Livestock

• Couple of heads of zoanthids
• Frag of NPS gorgonian
• Mushrooms
• “Baby” frogspawn
• Mainstream clove polyp

Here are some photos of the setup and a link to my YouTube video for a closer look at the tank:

IMG_8670.jpeg
IMG_8690.jpeg
IMG_8731.jpeg
IMG_8734.jpeg
IMG_8742.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg
IMG_8823.jpeg
IMG_8822.jpeg
IMG_8824.jpeg
IMG_8825.jpeg
IMG_8827.jpeg
IMG_8829.jpeg
IMG_8828.jpeg
IMG_8858.jpeg

This tank is a work in progress, and I’m excited to share updates as I go along!

And here is my youtube video link:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frugal Aquarist

Frugal Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Will you be adding fish?
As a beginner, my curiosity about keeping a fish in this tight space has never faded, so yes, I decided to add one
Here’s an update: I’ve chosen a Yellow Clown Goby to bring more life into the tank. Look how cute he is!

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This makes me wonder if I could put a clown goby in my 1.1 pico peninsula. I worry about the impact from food and waste on such a tiny volume. I would love to have a fish in mine though. Your tank is very nice and inspiring

OP
OP
Frugal Aquarist

Frugal Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m excited to share my latest video titled “Hunt For The One,” where I take you on a journey through Jatinegara Fish Market in Jakarta, searching for the perfect fish for my reef tank. You’ll see my tank’s transformation, the vibrant atmosphere of the market, and the different fish species available. I hope you enjoy the adventure and the moments captured along the way. Your feedback would mean a lot to me! Thank you.

OP
OP
Frugal Aquarist

Frugal Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me wonder if I could put a clown goby in my 1.1 pico peninsula. I worry about the impact from food and waste on such a tiny volume. I would love to have a fish in mine though. Your tank is very nice and inspiring
Thank you! I also worry about the parameters, especially since my maintenance routine is just regular water changes. If something goes wrong, I’ll probably move him to my friend’s tank.

OP
OP
Frugal Aquarist

Frugal Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting update! I’ve added a new friend to the reef—this stunning Toadstool Coral. I’m excited to see how it flourishes in my tank. Any guesses where it might be from?
IMG_8987.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting update! I’ve added a new friend to the reef—this stunning Toadstool Coral. I’m excited to see how it flourishes in my tank. Any guesses where it might be from?
IMG_8987.jpeg
Great picture of your toadstool!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back