Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I bought a starfish yesterday. I apologize as I am not sure what type it is but it is supposed to pretty much stay on the glass.

When I put it in yesterday (following all proper procedures first) it was super happy and moving around.

Not even 24 hours later it is now sitting on the substrate all puffy and not moving at all. Even one of its legs is folded underneath it.

I am really not sure what happen but none of my snail's are trying to eat it (like they would if something does) but it really just seems to be dead.

Everything else is doing great so I am confused. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

20230227_020008.jpg 20230227_191756.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
K

Kelloggs2800

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I'm more concerned about the change in the body size. Is that normal? I tried looking at video or posts and cannot find anything about it.

I do know they can be still for many hours but that and the fact that it's so puffy now is what scares me.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your sea star upside down underwater and see if small tube feet ( podia) are moving.
Echinoderms are very sensitive to salinity changes, so even long drip acclimation could have not been enough if salinity deference between retailer and your DT was to big.

Top Shelf Aquatics

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super weird. @livinlifeinBKK any thoughts on the starfish puffing up?
Could be die to acclimation although i haven't personally seen anything like this...i don't think it's dead though because the tend to literally disintegrate when they die...try turning it upside down and seeing how long it takes (or if it is even able) to "right" itself. That'll give an indication of health.

OP
OP
K

Kelloggs2800

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update. I thought the starfish was dead so I took it out and out it in a bucket with some tank water. I was about to throw it out and noticed it was moving around and looked really healthy

So I put it back in the tank and it went plump again and not moving. Took it back out and again it moved around and looked healthy.

So I decided to just leave it in the tank. It didn't move for a week but now it's moving all around and looks nice and healthy. I guess it just had a hard time acclimating.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaNerd
Back