Curiosity Question. Why are my Filter Socks Turning Pink?

BRS

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about the last month, when I take a dirty filter sock out and clean it, it has pink blotches or areas in the fiber. Sometimes it’s a lot, and sometimes it’s just a little. Once I have cleaned them and soak them in bleach, it’s all gone. I mean as soon as it’s in the bleach, it disappears. I was going to get a picture this morning, but as soon as I pulled it back out of the bleach water it was gone.

Just trying to figure out what it is or what is causing it. My thoughts are maybe cyanobacteria, Coraline algae or some other biological formation that has a pink appearance. Or, Maybe nitrate or some other chemical formation.

Any ideas?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about the last month, when I take a dirty filter sock out and clean it, it has pink blotches or areas in the fiber. Sometimes it’s a lot, and sometimes it’s just a little. Once I have cleaned them and soak them in bleach, it’s all gone. I mean as soon as it’s in the bleach, it disappears. I was going to get a picture this morning, but as soon as I pulled it back out of the bleach water it was gone.

Just trying to figure out what it is or what is causing it. My thoughts are maybe cyanobacteria, Coraline algae or some other biological formation that has a pink appearance. Or, Maybe nitrate or some other chemical formation.

Any ideas?
Without a picture, I'm guessing cyanobacteria.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a refugium with a light in your sump?
No Refugium and no light in the sump. Sump is exceptionally clean. something else I just thought of is possibility of carbon effects. Every other week, I put a high quality bag of carbon in the sump and it’s in the area before the filter soak. I just leave it in a week, so 7 days with then 7 days without carbon.

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?
Are you carbon dosing by chance?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a picture, I'm guessing cyanobacteria.
I am having a little bout with Cyanobacteria. Think I’ve been feeding too much. I’ve started blowing off the rocks every morning to keep the cyano suspended. That was my first guess, but wasn’t sure. I’ll get a picture next time I pull a soak out.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Refugium and no light in the sump. Sump is exceptionally clean. something else I just thought of is possibility of carbon effects. Every other week, I put a high quality bag of carbon in the sump and it’s in the area before the filter soak. I just leave it in a week, so 7 days with then 7 days without carbon.
I run carbon through a reactor that exits into a filter sock before returning to the sump to catch particals that may make it through the sponge. No pink in that sock. Most like the cyano. When I vacuum mine the entire bucket of water turns pink.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are often pink from the brine shrimp I feed
Hum? The simplest answer is usually the best. Never thought of that.

1681741427743.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back