Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i have a dozen of kg of dry rocks (arka reef rocks) that need to be cured. Is it ok to put them curing in tap salted (ocean reeef salt) water or is mandatory to use rodi also for curing?

i live at 1300mt in the alps, water is pretty clean and fairly untreated but quite calcareous.

G’s Reef

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi all, i have a dozen of kg of dry rocks (arka reef rocks) that need to be cured. Is it ok to put them curing in tap salted (ocean reeef salt) water or is mandatory to use rodi also for curing?

i live at 1300mt in the alps, water is pretty clean and fairly untreated but quite calcareous.
Are you going to cure them and then let them sun dry or cure them and then start cycling a tank. If you are cycling next I would not use Tap water.

Avast
OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just because it'd be quicker? Just trying to follow the logic if you have access to rodi water
i would like not to waste water and also try not to use the rodi system (i've got a small 50g rodi system) if isn't really needed.

Are you going to cure them and then let them sun dry or cure them and then start cycling a tank. If you are cycling next I would not use Tap water.
i've probably misunderstood the term "curing" they are dead rocks like the carib sea base, they do not need curing, i would like to put them in a bucket with a couple of live rock from my current setup and start to "cycle" them

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you test it all? I would try it. I ran a 5-gallon pico using tap. softies and LPS.
Cure it in the dark if you can.
i've already tested the water and checked town water test. Water is quite hard (really calcareous) but no silicates, no nitrates (very low) no po4 (not traceable with salifert po4),..our water is from the second group (DURA004)
1681420206355.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tap water to cycle my last 3 batches of dry rock, but that's my tap water. It is from local wells and the tds runs about 30.
I guess it would depend on how well you trusted your own water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like not to waste water and also try not to use the rodi system (i've got a small 50g rodi system) if isn't really needed.

i've probably misunderstood the term "curing" they are dead rocks like the carib sea base, they do not need curing, i would like to put them in a bucket with a couple of live rock from my current setup and start to "cycle" them
Use saltwater made with RODI. This isn't the time to start cutting corners...

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bother? Just tank a tiny bit of rock or a handful of sand from your current tank and move it over. Or put a piece of rubble in your current tank then move it over.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back