Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone else had cupramine cause swim bladder in fish before? ive had alot of fish come and go through my treatments as i have a deal with petco they give me there sick fish and i treat them and they mark it as a death and "write it off". ive had a coral beauty a three line damsel a latticed butterfly and a few other damsels and clownfish all get swim bladder within two days of being in cupramine .5 levels? anyone else have experience with this and how to treat swim bladder caused by copper?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What symptoms have you observed that led you to diagnose swim bladder issues?

I am not aware of any correlation between cupramine and swim bladder issues.

How do you test your copper concentration?

Do you have any videos that depict what you have seen?

I expect others will post any observations they have made but they probably won't get to it until the morning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
has anyone else had cupramine cause swim bladder in fish before? ive had alot of fish come and go through my treatments as i have a deal with petco they give me there sick fish and i treat them and they mark it as a death and "write it off". ive had a coral beauty a three line damsel a latticed butterfly and a few other damsels and clownfish all get swim bladder within two days of being in cupramine .5 levels? anyone else have experience with this and how to treat swim bladder caused by copper?
At overdosed levels, possibly but doubtful- constipation, porpoising likely causes as well as internal infection

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What symptoms have you observed that led you to diagnose swim bladder issues?

I am not aware of any correlation between cupramine and swim bladder issues.

How do you test your copper concentration?

Do you have any videos that depict what you have seen?

I expect others will post any observations they have made but they probably won't get to it until the morning.
never got a video of it though looking back definitly should have, and because the fish would swim nose to the sky or not be able to swim at all or swim in loopdy loops. Also a Hanna checker

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never got a video of it though looking back definitly should have, and because the fish would swim nose to the sky or not be able to swim at all or swim in loopdy loops. Also a Hanna checker
Swim bladder disorder is usually presented as the fish being unable to sink or unable to float on its own, spinning and ‘stargazing’ are not normally SBD.
Ive only seen this in fish that are going into shock.
How do you acclimate them to the tank when you get them?
Do you mix any other meds with the copper?
What are your other parameters?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never seen that with coppersafe or ionic copper (the two that I have used on literally tens of thousands of fish) and I haven't heard of any reports of that with Cupramine or copper power (two that I have less direct experience with).

True swim bladder issues are typically either caused by a bacteria, or by trauma (like when fish are decompressed with t a needle after capture). There is also a virus that can cause this in carp (and probably other fish as well).

As @vaguelyreeflike said, true swim bladder issues will show as a negative or positive floatation; if the fish stops swimming, it will either float or sink rapidly. Fish that spin, lay on the bottom or swim in circles may just be moribund (close to death).

Jay

BRS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe cupramine will cause swim bladder issues. The issues are more likely due to collection methods? EDIT - when I opened this thread - I could Not see any answers - I assume this has already been discussed. (and I see @Jay Hemdal has)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back