Cupramine dosage

Zigaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im a little confused i will be keeping my fish in my qt for 80 days due to ich in my DT, my question are
How long do i keep it at therapeutic level? 14 days as it says on bottle or 30 days as some people say on here?

Also with water changes how much water do i take out and how do i replace the cupramine to stable level? Will that stall the treatment? Also can i use the same equipment in my qt after my fish will be treated as i wait for my DT to die of ich? Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi im a little confused i will be keeping my fish in my qt for 80 days due to ich in my DT, my question are
How long do i keep it at therapeutic level? 14 days as it says on bottle or 30 days as some people say on here?

Also with water changes how much water do i take out and how do i replace the cupramine to stable level? Will that stall the treatment? Also can i use the same equipment in my qt after my fish will be treated as i wait for my DT to die of ich? Thanks
I would go with 30 days copper - and lets pretend you change 10 gallons - the 10 gallons with which you replace should contain the desired copper level

OP
OP
Z

Zigaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 30 days copper - and lets pretend you change 10 gallons - the 10 gallons with which you replace should contain the desired copper level
and is that already mixed in with my saltwater bucket or just add the drops in the qt after water change? And how often should i do waterchanges?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I understand you completely - but the copper level in your 'replacement water' should match the water in your QT tank (i.e. take 10 gallons out, add back 10 gallons with the same copper level)

OP
OP
Z

Zigaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand you completely - but the copper level in your 'replacement water' should match the water in your QT tank (i.e. take 10 gallons out, add back 10 gallons with the same copper level)
Thanks, so when i reach the therapeutic level will the levels drop or will it stay the same?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, so when i reach the therapeutic level will the levels drop or will it stay the same?
Again - not sure of your question. Let's put it this way - your copper level is xxxxx. You take out 10 gallons. You should replace it with water containing a copper level of xxxxx. Assuming you want to have a final copper level of xxxxx - this maintains it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to above make sure you have an accurate test for everything. We recommend coppersafe or copperpower on this site since they are easier on the fish. Once you reach desired level you want to keep it there during water changes. If it drops below, you run the risk of starting the clock over.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I prefer 30 days of coppersafe. Ionic copper, like Cupramine is a bit harsher. The trouble is that no copper effectively kills the resting stage (tomonts) of ich. The 30 day time is helpful to ensure that any remaining tomonts have died out. One trick is to run 14 days of Cupramine, then remove that to do any other treatments, like prazi for flukes, then, redose the Cupramine for 72 hours and remove the fish to a clean tank. That time kills off any infective theronts before they can reinfect the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

The dosage is .45- .5 (max)
You may be confusing 80 days with the fallow period of 6-8 weeks in which the tank would be fishless (without fish) to allow the parasites to die off without a host fish. After treatment, you can use Cuprisorb to lower and remove content

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back