Cube v. peninsula/rectangle

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 33 long reef years ago and am looking to get back into it with an AIO.

I keep freshwater tanks and am partial to rectangular tanks, but see mostly cubes for reefs.

Do cubes limit the amount of fish you can keep compared to a peninsula of the same size (20 cube v. 20 peninsula)? Pros and cons?

I’d like to keep a pair of clowns and one or two more fish in a 20 or 30 gallon, along with easy corals.

How do you feel about JBJ AIOs? They’re really l reasonably priced and my local store carries the smaller sizes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not into cubes and AIO tanks, I like old fashioned rectangle tanks, and I like the ability to choose the filtering and flow options for a rectangle tank compared to a cube or AIO. Its personal preference I guess.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallon for gallon I prefer the dimensions of a cube as it provides more depth edge to opposing edge. Although this only matters when restricted to gallons such as living in an apartment with a 20g max, for example or perhaps a desktop nano. Otherwise, filling out a space having the same depth front to back yet longer side to side more practical were one seeking more swimming room such as 120 vs 60 cube.

Vinaka_vakalevu

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 33 long reef years ago and am looking to get back into it with an AIO.

I keep freshwater tanks and am partial to rectangular tanks, but see mostly cubes for reefs.

Do cubes limit the amount of fish you can keep compared to a peninsula of the same size (20 cube v. 20 peninsula)? Pros and cons?

I’d like to keep a pair of clowns and one or two more fish in a 20 or 30 gallon, along with easy corals.

How do you feel about JBJ AIOs? They’re really l reasonably priced and my local store carries the smaller sizes.
Best deal in my mind is the Innovative marine 25 lagoon

OP
OP
F

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallon for gallon I prefer the dimensions of a cube as it provides more depth edge to opposing edge. Although this only matters when restricted to gallons such as living in an apartment with a 20g max, for example or perhaps a desktop nano. Otherwise, filling out a space having the same depth front to back yet longer side to side more practical were one seeking more swimming room such as 120 vs 60 cube.
What about fish limit? Does a cube affect it much bc of the shortened length? (Does it reduce space for territory, etc.?)

OP
OP
F

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not into cubes and AIO tanks, I like old fashioned rectangle tanks, and I like the ability to choose the filtering and flow options for a rectangle tank compared to a cube or AIO. Its personal preference I guess.
I liked my 33 long, but I also like my tanks in my living room and I like how the AIO hides everything.

I know sumps hide equipment, too, but I’m looking for something streamlined and easier to deal with.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about fish limit? Does a cube affect it much bc of the shortened length? (Does it reduce space for territory, etc.?)
Filtration determines bio-load carrying capacity and then other factors such as adult length, activity level and swimming patterns become individual considerations. For example, 12" snowflake moray will likely live comfortably in a 20 cube yet hippo tang at some point won't literally fit and will feel cramped in a 20L. Yet that tang at appropriate size to water volume likely prefers longer tanks vs same water volume boxed. 30x20 inches likely provides it more swimming room at a 2" size then same volume in a 20 cube of 17x17 inches.

Tang police alert, not saying put a 2" tang in a 20. Just for illustrated purposes :)

Vinaka_vakalevu

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Can you tell me what you like about it?
Innovative marine makes a solid well built tank. the rear chamber is large enough to add a little Ioaoi skimmer media caddy, small refugium. Whatever you want to use for filtration you can. I like the shallower reef aspect of if and the dimensions give you an ability to rock scape for viewing on all sides.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point on AIO tanks. One isn't limited to the rear sump chamber. Easy enough to add canisters or reactors and expand that capability. Personally never been a fan of under tank sump systems and I go back before wet dry was a thing. Too noisy. Too risky if not design correctly as to overflowing. Wish builders would make the rear portion larger. No reason a 24' deep tank can't have an additional 6 to 12 inches just for sump. By design, can sit flush to the wall.

Why I'll be having my main custom built. Off the shelf doesn't work for everyone.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love me a good cube! But after having my 80ish gallon up I realized there are too many issues with cubes. Flow is much harder in the 80 cube vs a standard 75g or 90g (closest things to volume). And yes fish choices my mimic would probably be happier in a 4' long tank vs 28" square. Once you get over the 300g mark I think the playing field levels out more flow wise. Not so much for fish as a 300g standard tank would allow for quite a few Tangs/other long-distance swimmers that probably should not be kept in a 300g cube. I would love a 6x6' cube tank but now we are talking 500g and still may be on the "small" side for certain fish.

OP
OP
F

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative marine makes a solid well built tank. the rear chamber is large enough to add a little Ioaoi skimmer media caddy, small refugium. Whatever you want to use for filtration you can. I like the shallower reef aspect of if and the dimensions give you an ability to rock scape for viewing on all sides.
Thank you! Appreciate that insight.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back