Crosshatch triggerfish (Xanthichthys mento)

Nutramar

Uromastyx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I was wondering if members have begun to see these fish again in the trade in the states?
mom assuming covid and the Hawaii ban may have affected collection, but curious to know if any have made a comeback? I’m down in Australia and always dreamed of this trigger in my reef tank!

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Havent seen any the last few months and am seeing now $800-$2000 for one. I remember 2 years ago, a local LFS having a mated pair for $600

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are you sure you want them? I wanted them, then realized I didn't. Most will arrive 7"+ as you won't know you have a male unless it's that size. Anything smaller and you risk getting two females which don't have as vivid of coloring. Two 7" fish need a BIG tank, especially these guys as they like room to swim.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
U

Uromastyx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are you sure you want them? I wanted them, then realized I didn't. Most will arrive 7"+ as you won't know you have a male unless it's that size. Anything smaller and you risk getting two females which don't have as vivid of coloring. Two 7" fish need a BIG tank, especially these guys as they like room to swim.
Yes wow, that’s always a surprise isn’t! I doubt I’d ever see any in Australia in the coming years but good to know if they are at least available for you guys.
thanks for the replies guys.

drtechno

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes wow, that’s always a surprise isn’t! I doubt I’d ever see any in Australia in the coming years but good to know if they are at least available for you guys.
thanks for the replies guys.
Just to be clear - they are NOT available to anyone. They are collected from Hawaii and impacted by the collection ban. Therefore, we will likely not see them again until someone finds a new source. I know because I have tried to source one.
Any crosshatches that people have are from other collectors tanks, or fish that have been in captivity for a while. Unless someone knows someone illegally collecting/smuggling these.

reeferee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair for sale that i have had for 2 years. I will sell the pair for $10k. You can text me at 203-249-0442. Thanks, Max

Just to be clear - they are NOT available to anyone. They are collected from Hawaii and impacted by the collection ban. Therefore, we will likely not see them again until someone finds a new source. I know because I have tried to source one.
Any crosshatches that people have are from other collectors tanks, or fish that have been in captivity for a while. Unless someone knows someone illegally collecting/smuggling these.

Attachments

• IMG_3240.mov
    19 MB
  • IMG_3239.mov
    14.3 MB
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back