Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding a new live stone, after I have been improving the water quality for future corals for the 2nd month, 2 white sticks have grown from the new stones. They are soft, not calcium, I probably even damaged one of them (the small one on the right) and it deflated. They don't look like egg laying, maybe they are sea sponges? Also, are these algae in a shape of flowers harmful, what can they be called?

IMG_20230501_022919_751.jpg IMG_20230501_022917_382.jpg IMG_20230501_022914_514.jpg IMG_20230501_022912_554.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After adding a new live stone, after I have been improving the water quality for future corals for the 2nd month, 2 white sticks have grown from the new stones. They are soft, not calcium, I probably even damaged one of them (the small one on the right) and it deflated. They don't look like egg laying, maybe they are sea sponges? Also, are these algae in a shape of flowers harmful, what can they be called?

View attachment 3130807 View attachment 3130808 View attachment 3130809 View attachment 3130810
Youve got some hair algae to battle. I see some spirobid worms (little white ones) and the other is a macroalgae known as Neomeris annulata

for GHA, I would place rock in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
I

itelshot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I bought RO / DI 1.5 months ago and over time the water will be cleaner. Hair algae is not a problem compared to what it was before, before I had only shrimp and crab, the water was without filters, the corals did not like the water, they did not survive. Now I have bought a skimmer, new socks, RODI, sand and actively brush and cleaning all out every week. Thanks for the advice, but should I get rid of this algae?
Youve got some hair algae to battle. I see some spirobid worms (little white ones) and the other is a macroalgae known as Neomeris annulata

for GHA, I would place rock in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I bought RO / DI 1.5 months ago and over time the water will be cleaner. Hair algae is not a problem compared to what it was before, before I had only shrimp and crab, the water was without filters, the corals did not like the water, they did not survive. Now I have bought a skimmer, new socks, RODI, sand and actively brush and cleaning all out every week. Thanks for the advice, but should I get rid of this algae?
Its not dangerous but both unsightly and can cover some coral and cause them stress

OP
OP
I

itelshot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not dangerous but both unsightly and can cover some coral and cause them stress
If I'm not mistaken, then by autumn, after few changes, I will have an aquarium completely of RO DI water. And then after numerous brushings hair algae they will grow very slowly, am i right? By autumn, I'm already thinking of starting with cheap soft, simple corals.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back