PH 8.16-8.24
Alk = 7.54
Cal = 554
Mg = 1284

Dosing:
Red Sea Alk = 15 ml
Red Sea mg = 36ml
All for Reef = 12 ml

Hi all, I am so lost. I am having issues with high calcium climbing with alk, but I am dosing such little All for reef, it makes no sense. what Is crazier is that I am dumping such much mg into the tank to keep the numbers where they are.

My questions are, where does the extra calcium come from? What would cause me to fight with mg to keep it at a reasonable level? According to red sea, I should only need to dose about 4ml of mg daily - not 36 ml. If I reduce the mg to even 20, I can watch the levels drop with each test.

So lost

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 Gal water volume
Salinity = 34 PPM
PH 8.16-8.24
Alk = 7.54
Cal = 554
Mg = 1284

Dosing:
Red Sea Alk = 15 ml
Red Sea mg = 36ml
All for Reef = 12 ml

Hi all, I am so lost. I am having issues with high calcium climbing with alk, but I am dosing such little All for reef, it makes no sense. what Is crazier is that I am dumping such much mg into the tank to keep the numbers where they are.

My questions are, where does the extra calcium come from? What would cause me to fight with mg to keep it at a reasonable level? According to red sea, I should only need to dose about 4ml of mg daily - not 36 ml. If I reduce the mg to even 20, I can watch the levels drop with each test.

So lost

Have you calculated how many ppm that mg addition would be expected to cause?

It is not being consumed, regardless. Real mg consumption is not ever more than about 1/10th of the calcium consumption in ppm.

BRS
OP
OP
marcmen

marcmen

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calculated how many ppm that mg addition would be expected to cause?

It is not being consumed, regardless. Real mg consumption is not ever more than about 1/10th of the calcium consumption in ppm.
Randy - thanks for this. I started dosing about six months ago. I did realize that the recommended dosage was for maintenance and not to get me to my goals. Rookie mistake :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back