Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to culture Nanno phyto and pods. I'm using the Poseidon kit. My first culture crashed on day 4. My 2nd attempt looked more promising as I thought it would be ready to harvest today. At day 5 it was starting to really darken up, but not the thick, dark green most end up with. I figured surely by day 7 it would be there. Day 6 looked about the same as day 5, but today, day 7, it has lightened up a lot.

I noticed on day 6 that I was getting done settling on the bottom, but I didn't disturb the jar or attempt to shake it.

The culture does not smell, there is more settling today so I gave it a shake and added some more of the 2 part fert.

I use bags for the culture, I cleaned everything with alcohol, use RODI water to mix my salt, have lights set on timer for 16 hours on and 8 off, and have air on full agitation.

Few questions. Can you harvest too early? I'm wondering if I should have harvested on day 5 or 6, but it wasn't DARK, DARK. What would happen if harvested too early?

Should I shake my culture daily to keep it from settling like we do with the phyto we keep in the fridge?

If it don't smell bad does that mean it can be revived and when is reviving a culture even worth trying or is it?

Can this still be used in my aquarium and to feed pods? How do you know what is usable and what is not?

Wish I had taken a pic on day 5, but here it is after a decline I guess of 24 or so hours. The bottom looks a decent green, but the top is much lighter and almost yellow, but hard to see true colors in pic.

Btw, the pods are doing great for these 2 weeks in a separate tank.

20230530_145120.jpg
20230530_145140.jpg
20230530_145130.jpg

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back