Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had this mystery crab in our tank for a while now and even with traps have not been able to get him out! Sneaky guy! He has molted so hopefully this will help. He is a little fuzzy but Im pretty sure its not a gorilla crab? One claw is very large compared to the other, he has red eyes and this molt is very close to his coloring, red/orangish.

MVIMG_20180616_155145.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar Foods

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest that he lost a claw somewhen in the past, and that it's still regrowing - when it's done, the two claws will be the same size.

I can't tell you the species, but it does look like something in the xanthid family. I'd take a look at the tips of those dark claws - if they're not spoon-shaped the way emerald crabs' tips are, this guy's more likely carnivorous - and the power / thickness of the claws suggests he can crunch the shells of things.

~Bruce

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest that he lost a claw somewhen in the past, and that it's still regrowing - when it's done, the two claws will be the same size.

I can't tell you the species, but it does look like something in the xanthid family. I'd take a look at the tips of those dark claws - if they're not spoon-shaped the way emerald crabs' tips are, this guy's more likely carnivorous - and the power / thickness of the claws suggests he can crunch the shells of things.

~Bruce
I agree with him about the claw..., this claws look strong enough to brake shells and probably can damage and hard coral skeleton.... (if he is hungry enough probably will do it ...) I will stick wit take it out the DT and move it to the sump (if nothing important there), or give it to some one else.
#reefsquad , some one better options ?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back