+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy!

I was doing my water change and weekly maintenance this morning and saw a crab in my tank. I don’t have any though.

Kind of a cool surprise, but I am now wondering if he’s safe for my coral and fish. I did buy live rock several months ago. I guess it’s possible he’s remained hidden all this time. Attempted to get a pic but by the time I installed an orange lens he was gone. About 2 inches max. Hairy looking but not orange like “Florida hairy crabs” I’ve seen. He appeared very dull colored under the early light. Brown or khaki.
Including bigger photo for reference. Looks like he might have eaten a head off that torch. Hard to say. Hopefully he will help with that GHA instead if eating coral. My tan is too small for a tang.
Thank you!

178138DE-CCFB-4C54-8D85-9B2383785789.jpeg 5F29B8D4-BB72-4A90-A328-0F83F90D2961.jpeg

OP
OP
NASAGeek

NASAGeek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably going to need pics of it under white light for a solid ID.
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
Some crab ID advice: take a pic of the front like you did (mainly to show the claws - good job there - but also a little to show the face), and also take a pic of the back of the crab (take the pic from above the crab looking straight down at it - this shows the shell and back of the crab, which can both be important for ID too).
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
some top-down photos of the crab's back (including some that show the portion of the shell by the crab's back legs) may be helpful with ID

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Howdy!

I was doing my water change and weekly maintenance this morning and saw a crab in my tank. I don’t have any though.

Kind of a cool surprise, but I am now wondering if he’s safe for my coral and fish. I did buy live rock several months ago. I guess it’s possible he’s remained hidden all this time. Attempted to get a pic but by the time I installed an orange lens he was gone. About 2 inches max. Hairy looking but not orange like “Florida hairy crabs” I’ve seen. He appeared very dull colored under the early light. Brown or khaki.
Including bigger photo for reference. Looks like he might have eaten a head off that torch. Hard to say. Hopefully he will help with that GHA instead if eating coral. My tan is too small for a tang.
Thank you!

View attachment 3018889 View attachment 3018890
From the body and tips on claws,, im convinced it is a Xanthidae crab which is undesirable in the tank. Pics under white lighting can help confirm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NASAGeek

NASAGeek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the body and tips on claws,, im convinced it is a Xanthidae crab which is undesirable in the tank. Pics under white lighting can help confirm
Just found a second, smaller one. Appears to be the same species but far less hairy at this size. He’s about 1 inch.

Attachments

• 46CB9E24-6CCE-4E93-A972-0E823F995815.jpeg
    46CB9E24-6CCE-4E93-A972-0E823F995815.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just found a second, smaller one. Appears to be the same species but far less hairy at this size. He’s about 1 inch.
You have yourself a gorilla crab there. You'll want to trap and remove it.

Upvote 0

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok thank you. I got a better pic of the bigger one, as well.
Yup. Kill it with fire. The striped pattern on the legs, as visible in the previous photo was the dead give away. Well, that coupled with the "hairy" appearance.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hmmm- may be a decorator crab

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics are a bit better, but still pretty blurry. That said, based on how “hairy” it seems to be and the fact that it seems to have “hair” on top of its shell, I’d guess a Pilumnid crab of some kind (possibly a Pilumnus sp.) - again, you’d probably need clearer pics for a solid ID (but, personally, I’d sump it at this point to be safe).

Pilumnid crabs aren’t technically gorilla crabs, but they’re gorilla crabs (i.e. not reef safe) for hobbyist purposes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NASAGeek

NASAGeek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics are a bit better, but still pretty blurry. That said, based on how “hairy” it seems to be and the fact that it seems to have “hair” on top of its shell, I’d guess a Pilumnid crab of some kind (possibly a Pilumnus sp.) - again, you’d probably need clearer pics for a solid ID (but, personally, I’d sump it at this point to be safe).

Pilumnid crabs aren’t technically gorilla crabs, but they’re gorilla crabs (i.e. not reef safe) for hobbyist purposes.
Copy that. I’ll try to catch them. Thank you for the info. My iPhone is a potato. My kid has a new one. I suffer because… more tanks. Haha

Upvote 0

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not, but I just did some searching on the idea. Sounds easy enough. We’ll try tonight when the lights go down. Thanks!
Yeah, it isn't too difficult and there is an abundance of info online. Best of luck, and be sure to post pics of the little f'rs when you catch them!

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back