+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello r2r,

I am starting to build out a 72x24x24 dominated SPS reef and looking for some guidance on lights. My layout will be SPS(montis and acros) mostly in the center and LPS on islands off to the side.

I was researching radions vs hydras and it just made my head spin. Would 3 radion xr15 g6 pros give me the spread I am looking for for optimal growth? From what I saw online 8 inches off the waterline should give the xr15s about 24x24 coverage.

Also for anyone that has used the RMS arm stands on the tank, do they shake at all after being mounted? My kids are nuts and when they run by my current tank the lights slightly shake no matter how tightly I secure the mount to the glass.

Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barely, yes. I have four Radions (2x XR30, 2x XR15) on my Red Sea 750XXL which is roughly the same dimensions. If you're going heavy into SPS I would probably plan for four XR15s or three XR30s.

I wouldn't say the RMS mounts "shake" (concrete floor, no kids running by) - but there's definitely some "flex" if I happen to bump them. The XR30s definitely sag more than the XR15s.

OP
OP
K

Krad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK great, I was going to maybe start with 3 and add another xr15 as the tank matures. I cant stomach the xr30 cost lol but maybe I can consider it since I'm parting out the old setup and have buyers lined up for the lights, sump, skimmer etc.

My current tank is on hardwood floors and I haven't considered the floor making a difference, new house is a ranch so the tank will be in the basement (concrete but will finish with some type of flooring) maybe that'll make a difference. I looked at their multi-light tracks but my concern is cable management when hanging from the ceiling.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back