Correct steps to upgrade to new tank?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 2 year old Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon tank and recently purchased a Waterbox AIO 35.2 - right now I have the Waterbox cycling and in 4-5 weeks time it should be ready.

I plan to take all the live rock with corals attached from the old tank and place into the new tank. I also plan to put in 5 gallons of water from the old tank and into the new.

Last step is to put the livestock into the new tank. I will be using the same salt as the old tank with only the change of the substrate to a newer type.

Does this sound all correct? It almost seems too simple and I'm forgetting some key points - any tips will be much appreciated....thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match temperature and alkalinity in the new water to the old., Drain down the 5 gallons, move stuff, and old tank water ( if you want to.)

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to cycle the new tank.. move all your rock, corals and fish to the new tank with new sand and water and your done! Consider it a nice water change! It works every time, without casualties.
Agree with this. When we upgraded from 72 to 180, just moved from the smaller to the bigger and used most of the water. The only thing we changed was sand. No cycle what so ever. Added pods and started dosing phyto right off the bat and barely any algea breakout.

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the bacteria, it won't hurt to add it after you move everything. It will actually help if you're adding dry rock. But if you don't have it already, no need to waste the money.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Aborting the cycle :) Cheers
I personally would let it sit for a few weeks wet without light. Maybe add a bit of your live rock and let it kind it sit and settle for a few days.
It will give the healthy bacteria a chance to inhabit the rest of the tank before uglies. Not necessary but helps prevent Dino’s/diatoms, and stuff like that.

CallmePablo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
No reason to cycle the new tank.. move all your rock, corals and fish to the new tank with new sand and water and your done! Consider it a nice water change! It works every time, without casualties.
Yes and ill use dirty filter socks from old tank at least for a couple days.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back