+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Tried searching around for this answer. I'm planning my aquascape/where corals will go. There are many threads discussing which corals thrive in low light, for the bottom of the tank.

My question is, are there corals that you can place towards the top of your tank, that will only minimally shade the corals below it? Example, monti caps will completely shade everything below it. Maybe a birds nest would only partially shade?

Basically, I'm just trying to plan out corals I can place at the top of my tank, while retaining the ability to grow stuff nearly directly under it, IF its possible.

Thanks in advance, always appreciate everyone's advice.

Charlie

Nutramar Foods

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the hard part, even skinny acros and digis when you buy them are small. but they all branch out and will shade what is below them. Best bet is to buy something for the top, and under it at the same time so they grow at the same pace.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, most coral will totally shade others if given time to grow so your best bet is going for NPS or lower light needing coral at the bottom and the high light lovers at the top.

Or do what some Australians do in their reefs and have corals literally growing ontop of eachother (Although this does come with a risk of caution).

Top Shelf Aquatics

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the eternal question right? I think what’s been posted is wise; to have higher light demanding corals at the top (usually branching SPS), then lesser light demanding corals lower in the shaded areas (LPS, and softies usually).

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Geo's Reef
Back