Corals Least Threatened by a Bristletail Filefish

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has had a bad aiptasia problem. A really bad aiptasia problem. As in, every square inch of rock was covered in aiptasia. Most of the bottom of the tank was covered in aiptasia. Even some of the walls were covered in aiptasia.

I've tried everything to attack it, and finally it seems like we're turning a corner with the tank. A few months back, after berghia failed again (the tank is also filled with amphipods, which I'm pretty sure were eating the berghia eggs), I picked up three peppermint shrimp. About six weeks after that, I added a bristletail filefish. Finally, with the addition of the bristletail, aiptasia started retreating.

Originally, this tank was intended as a softy/LPS/anemone tank. I've had a bristletail before, so I know that eventually most of those types of corals will be on the menu. After the aiptasia are finally vanquished, I plan on retooling the tank to house whatever he's least likely to snack on. So, in people's experience - what is likely to be safest with him?

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with invasive growers, Kenya trees, star polyp, fast growing zoas etc.

I’d also heavily recommend staying away from Sinularia sp. like cabbage leathers to avoid the chances of toxins being released into the tank if it’s munched on. Filefish and puffers seem to be the last to be effected by this toxin, while fish and especially other coral will take a hit from it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back