Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals closed up one day and would barely open for the next two. I figured it was nothing and then just left it. Today I noticed white spots all over my frogspawn and my gorgonian was melting. A couple weeks ago I put an emerald crab in my sump to help get rid of the green hair algae. This morning I found it decomposing in the sump. So I figured it was an ammonia spike. I did roughly 50% water change. Will the corals be able to recover from this? Was it an ammonia spike or does someone think it’s something else?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's up with your tank. Did you measure ammonia, or any other parameters along the way?

A picture of the tank and surviving corals, fish, or other live stock (with damages showing) might possibly be helpful than your narrative?

Clear photos under daylight (white, not blue) would be most helpful

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear there is another similar thread from the same person?
Clicked on their name, they did start two threads. the other one is an emergency thread, with similar info.

@Nick762 Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hope you find the answers you need to enjoy this hobby!
computer GIF
<---My new cubicle! :)

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clicked on their name, they did start two threads. the other one is an emergency thread, with similar info.

@Nick762 Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hope you find the answers you need to enjoy this hobby!
computer GIF
<---My new cubicle! :)
Hey thats me at my desk pre covid!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals closed up one day and would barely open for the next two. I figured it was nothing and then just left it. Today I noticed white spots all over my frogspawn and my gorgonian was melting. A couple weeks ago I put an emerald crab in my sump to help get rid of the green hair algae. This morning I found it decomposing in the sump. So I figured it was an ammonia spike. I did roughly 50% water change. Will the corals be able to recover from this? Was it an ammonia spike or does someone think it’s something else?
I don't know the reason your corals are dying but I can say with 100% confidence that it's not from the crab dying. Ammonia is actually a food source for coral, so any "spike" that might have occurred from the decomposing crab would not harm the coral.
It's possible that whatever killed the crab also damaged your coral, but it will be difficult for us to diagnose that.

Please post your recent and current parameters along with any changes you made recently, anything you added besides saltwater, and a description of any other odd behavior from your fish or inverts.
And pictures!

Top Shelf Aquatics

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the reason your corals are dying but I can say with 100% confidence that it's not from the crab dying. Ammonia is actually a food source for coral, so any "spike" that might have occurred from the decomposing crab would not harm the coral.
It's possible that whatever killed the crab also damaged your coral, but it will be difficult for us to diagnose that.

Please post your recent and current parameters along with any changes you made recently, anything you added besides saltwater, and a description of any other odd behavior from your fish or inverts.
And pictures!
Crab was in his sump. Tried helping in his other post.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back