Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure I’d this coralline growing in my rocks or is this algae, talking about in the white rocks image.jpg

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that bad?
It depends. I would check your nutrients, as they are likely high and out of balance. Judging by the color of those rocks (cyano not withstanding) I'd venture to guess that this is a relatively young system. Cyano outbreaks are often part of "the uglies", and with proper husbandry, should resolve on their own. You can scrub it with a toothbrush and siphon it out. Maintain a regular WC schedule and ensure that your methods of nutrient export are keeping up with your import.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

abryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. I would check your nutrients, as they are likely high and out of balance. Judging by the color of those rocks (cyano not withstanding) I'd venture to guess that this is a relatively young system. Cyano outbreaks are often part of "the uglies", and with proper husbandry, should resolve on their own. You can scrub it with a toothbrush and siphon it out. Maintain a regular WC schedule and ensure that your methods of nutrient export are keeping up with your import.
Yes the tank is new but here are my tanks from the last couple weeks everything seems to be in check
85FE37CC-CDE1-45A9-A6F7-46CA61101AC2.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
not sure I’d this coralline growing in my rocks or is this algae, talking about in the white rocksView attachment 3046071
Hints of cyano. reduce light slightly which will reduce chance of reproduction. Assure phos and nitrate has not become elevated. Skimming will also help

Nutramar Foods

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes the tank is new but here are my tanks from the last couple weeks everything seems to be in checkView attachment 3046099
If your nutrients are reading low, but your tank has bad stuff growing in it, it generally means that the bad stuff is taking up the nutrients and they won't show on your test kit(s). Your tank is immature and that is clearly cyanobacteria. Like I said, with proper husbandry, it should resolve on its own.

Namaste.

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that bad?
No.
Don't panic.
Don't be tempted to add any chemicals.
Do keep an eye on nutrient levels.

Additionally, as @Fish Styx said, manually remove as much as practicable by light scrubbing and siphoning (during water changes). It will likely pass as the system matures.

OP
OP
A

abryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
Don't panic.
Don't be tempted to add any chemicals.
Do keep an eye on nutrient levels.

Additionally, as @Fish Styx said, manually remove as much as practicable by light scrubbing and siphoning (during water changes). It will likely pass as the system matures.
I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and it didn’t wanna come off seemed like it was just stained on the rock

Corals.com

Gregpetro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cyano. If you keep your phos and nitrate close to 0 in my experience cyano allways shows up. Just keep some phos in your tank .03 to .1 and 5 to 10 nitrate. Allways works for me.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back