Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this hobby and started my first tank about two months ago. About a month ago I got some live rock hoping it would start spreading coralline algae through the tank. I've recently noticed a couple of purple/pink spots, and was wondering if it's coralline algae growing.

Coralline 2.jpg Coralline.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to brush it off, so things are looking good. It also matches some of the coralline on a frag I got from my LFS.

View attachment 3026754
Yes it's coralline! Also more clear in that photo the first they were probably making sure it wasn't cyano for you since your rocks look fairly new. Great progress and well on your way to a healthy mature system!

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm new to this hobby and started my first tank about two months ago. About a month ago I got some live rock hoping it would start spreading coralline algae through the tank. I've recently noticed a couple of purple/pink spots, and was wondering if it's coralline algae growing.

View attachment 3025801 View attachment 3025802
Now that you have coralline established, the key to growth will be maintaining stable conditions for it. The three essentials are Temperature of 78-79, steady PH of 8.2-8.4 and Moderate lighting which your pics suggest is provided.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to rain on someone’s parade, but I do have doubts if those are coralline algae. Usually coralline start on plastic (powerheads) and glass and eventually on rock. They are also more flaky and pealing. But than, my wife claims that I am always wrong, so figure it out!

AquaCave Logo Banner

FreshSaltH2o

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to rain on someone’s parade, but I do have doubts if those are coralline algae. Usually coralline start on plastic (powerheads) and glass and eventually on rock. They are also more flaky and pealing. But then, my wife claims that I am always wrong, so figure it out!
Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

my tanks been up 4 years and all my rocks are covered in coralline just in the last few months has it started growing on the glass bare bottom.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice word USUALLY in my post?
It's fair to say that coralline will regularly start on overflows and pumps, but the growth on that rock definitely looks like recently seeded coralline, and I'd say the split for starting on plastic vs rocks is dependent on flow and lighting and only like 70-30 plastic vs rock. Anecdotally having started tanks 3x 2 of the times coralline started on rocks 1 of the times it started on plastic and pumps.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don’t want to rain on someone’s parade, but I do have doubts if those are coralline algae. Usually coralline start on plastic (powerheads) and glass and eventually on rock. They are also more flaky and pealing. But than, my wife claims that I am always wrong, so figure it out!
Youre referring to Non-geniculate Coralline Algae and even this coralline species does not rely on plastic to grow and thrive. This person introduced rock with coralline already established and would make it geniculate allowing spreading cells called crustose to adhere to rocks, coral, shells (often seen on snails and crabs) and glass. Adding rock with coralline is actually the easiest way to introduce coralline opposed to the magic liquids which rarely work.
There are fifteen hundred classifications of coralline and red algaes and often people identify coralline by color in which is believed to be the first sign of pink.
It is actually purple which is the highest color followed by white and also green which derives from pigments called phycobili-proteins.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very true in my tank too. My rocks turned brown, then green, then splatter purple long before coraline grew on them. My powerheads were covered first then my back glass before my rocks.

However the OP has taken good steps by introducing some live ocean rock to his system which should help his tank evolve at a quite quicker rate but I'm not convinced those little spashes of faded purple are coralline yet in a 2 month tank. To much instability still but he certainly will get it if he does his part

bxclent

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

my tanks been up 4 years and all my rocks are covered in coralline just in the last few months has it started growing on the glass bare bottom.
Yes, my coralline started on the rocks. Now I have to scrape it off the glass constantly

Top Shelf Aquatics

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very true in my tank too. My rocks turned brown, then green, then splatter purple long before coraline grew on them. My powerheads were covered first then my back glass before my rocks.

However the OP has taken good steps by introducing some live ocean rock to his system which should help his tank evolve at a quite quicker rate but I'm not convinced those little spashes of faded purple are coralline yet in a 2 month tank. To much instability still but he certainly will get it if he does his part
if its not coraline then what would it be? lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back