Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im somewhat new to saltwater aquariums ive had mine up now for roughly 6 months. Im have trouble getting different types of coraline algae to grow. The only color i have is a reddish color and from what i understand other colors have to be physically brought into my tank? How would i go about getting other colors of algae? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im somewhat new to saltwater aquariums ive had mine up now for roughly 6 months. Im have trouble getting different types of coraline algae to grow. The only color i have is a reddish color and from what i understand other colors have to be physically brought into my tank? How would i go about getting other colors of algae? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Cory,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and thanks for signing up.

You can turn all your pumps off for awhile, and scrape some coralline into fine particles to help it spread.
The most common colors are red or purple and a lot of it depends on your lighting.

Be sure to keep your magnesium up, with your cal and alk.

No magic tricks to reefing, besides good water parameters, flow, lighting and long term stability.

Freddie

Corals.com

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time. I have a 3 month old cube. I took the power head out of my 9+ month nano/frag tank that grows coralline like crazy on the power head and overflow, but the rocks are bare, because urchin... scraped most of the coralline off the power head into the display of the cube. I now have some pink/purple spots on the clear frag rack in the corner starting to grow, but the rocks still show no signs.

It'll happen... sometimes it's fast, sometimes it takes forever. It always has to be introduced tho. Just focus on keeping your parameters stable.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back