Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my first corals. I mistakenly thought it was a torch coral at the LFS then later decided it was probably a hammer coral, but I can't find any photos online that look the same as it. The branches don't seem long enough for a torch and only some of the tips seem a little hammer like. Is it a hybrid?
PXL_20230107_202517025.jpg

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a frammer, also known as hammerspawn - shorter tentacles like a hammer but rounder tips like a frogspawn. Although the tips can occasionally branch, more often you'll just see a few that are kind of shaped funny like the ones circled.

Screenshot_20230107-224851.png

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a frammer, also known as hammerspawn - shorter tentacles like a hammer but rounder tips like a frogspawn. Although the tips can occasionally branch, more often you'll just see a few that are kind of shaped funny like the ones circled.

View attachment 2964993
Thanks! The lack of frogspawn like branching had me questioning if it was a frammer, hammerspawn, spammer. Knowing that branching is not always seen clears that up.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The lack of frogspawn like branching had me questioning if it was a frammer, hammerspawn, spammer. Knowing that branching is not always seen clears that up.
I think a spammer is something else ;)

FWIW, and remembering that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I wouldn't pay as much for a "mutt" coral like a frammer than I would for an actual frog or hammer. Over the last few years I've seen various sellers imply that these are some sort of unique rare hybrids when nothing could be farther from the truth ;)

(*My definition of "mutt"- a category of unintentional cross breeds with many small variations but no specific unique features)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I paid an outlandish price and certainly wasn't under the impression it was rare or anything. Clearly didn't even know what I was buying so rookie mistake. To be honest, I may try to trade it back in eventually as I have a nano and would rather have a more colorful hammer or torch. Picking we're slim when I went and I was eager to get started.

When you say "nothing could be farther from the truth" are you saying these are really common? I'm surprised I couldn't find more photos like it if that's the case. Do they come from the wild like this or cross breeding in tanks?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I paid an outlandish price and certainly wasn't under the impression it was rare or anything. Clearly didn't even know what I was buying so rookie mistake. To be honest, I may try to trade it back in eventually as I have a nano and would rather have a more colorful hammer or torch. Picking we're slim when I went and I was eager to get started.

When you say "nothing could be farther from the truth" are you saying these are really common? I'm surprised I couldn't find more photos like it if that's the case. Do they come from the wild like this or cross breeding in tanks?

I've seen them more and more in the hobby over the last 5 years or so. The cross breeding would have taken place over a long period of time in the wild, and then collectors sold them into the hobby market.

There is nothing inherently wrong with framers; I'm sorry if I gave that impression. They generally grow well and colonies can become quite large. I was just commenting that, along with the trend of "ultra" "OG" "rainbow" etc names in the hobby, sometimes vendors try to price these as something they are not.

Here's a pic of a large colony of frammer I had a few years ago.
20201011_181952~2.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back