Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals of the World is good, but it has outdated taxonomic nomenclature. WoRMS is the authoritative database for corals and other marine invertebrates, but it usually doesn’t have reference images for identification. Indo-Pacific Corals by Joe Rowlett is a good book that identifies a wide range of corals, but the taxonomy there is a little outdated, also.

AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a good place to find out more information about specific corals? like some kind of online coral encyclopedia or something?

Thanks so much!
It's often helpful to look at the major online coral vendors, including LiveAquaria.com and saltwaterfish.com, for general descriptions and care requirements.

For something more scientific, try the CITES guide:

Edit for clarity: the link below is not to something I posted, just something I found helpful (and bookmarked ;) )

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's often helpful to look at the major online coral vendors, including LiveAquaria.com and saltwaterfish.com, for general descriptions and care requirements.

For something more scientific, try the CITES guide:

Edit for clarity: the link below is not to something I posted, just something I found helpful (and bookmarked ;) )

I wouldn’t recommend the CITES guide as it makes over-generalizations and uses outdated taxonomy.

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend the CITES guide as it makes over-generalizations and uses outdated taxonomy.
Most of us aren't as worried about exact taxonomy as you... We just want to provide our coral with the best care which can be done regardless of the exact scientific label placed on the coral.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back