+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm Ana :)
I wanted to ask you for help, I am a biotechnologist and I am doing a master's degree in marine biotechnology, as a proposal for my master's thesis I want to design a bacterial product that helps corals grow healthy.

Any common problem or disease for which you have no solution in your aquariums?

World Wide Corals

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask you for help, I am a biotechnologist and I am doing a master's degree in marine biotechnology, as a proposal for my master's thesis I want to design a bacterial product that helps corals grow healthy.

Bleaching!!!!!!!! If you could solve bleaching or rather fix bleaching I would spend a lot of money on that product!!!! I’ve been studying it myself and really want to fix this problem! I’ve been doing test on some frag corals where I’ll raise the temp to almost 97 degrees to simulate global warming and then when the corals bleaching I try every to try to save them!! Like injecting them with photosynthetic algae that’s from some of the coral that’s the same species and I think that’s actually helping it slow the bleaching but it doesn’t stop it

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI - you might get more responses if you post in the general reef aquarium discussion. There are numerous problems in the aquarium - various algae, dinoflagellates, etc that would be far easier to study than 'corals' - and far less costly. For example there are SPS corals, LPS corals, Soft Corals, etc. There are also multiple bacterial products out there that supposedly affect some of these things. Which would at least give you a start in figuring out what kind/type, etc of bacteria to use.

I'm curious - What is the background. I.e. what is your theory on 'why' a bacterial product would help coral.

Top Shelf Aquatics

sculpin01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious about the role Bacteriovorax stolpii/Bdellovibrio play in White Syndrome/Rapid Tissue Necrosis/RTN as probiotics and whether their culture would be beneficial in aquaria.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious about the role Bacteriovorax stolpii/Bdellovibrio play in White Syndrome/Rapid Tissue Necrosis/RTN as probiotics and whether their culture would be beneficial in aquaria.
If you do not know @AquaBiomics - he is doing DNA testing of reef aquaria. I wonder if you and he could arrange a testing collabration. @Daniel@R2R - can this be moved - with the authors permission to the experiment section?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do not know @AquaBiomics - he is doing DNA testing of reef aquaria. I wonder if you and he could arrange a testing collabration. @Daniel@R2R - can this be moved - with the authors permission to the experiment section?
Sure. If the author wants it moved, I'm happy to help by moving it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back