Coral colors

cleaner_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for all the Goni experts out there. I’ve got a pink and blue alveopora. Or at least it was. I’ve had this coral for around 2-3 years. It grows quite fast. I picked it up at an event and it was extremely colorful. Ever since then it hasn’t had much color to it. It’s rather dull (I’ll link a photo). I want to try and restore it to its former glory. I recently got a new light. Ecotech radion xr15g6
For my 40 gallon (not a 40 long/breeder) and previously had a single kessil 160we tuna blue on it for a year and a half. (Old light was way to weak) but I want to try and restore the coloration to this coral. The lights are set on acclimation mode so for now that’s a later problem. But I know goni, alevapora use manganese and a lot of it. But is that related to there color. I’ve heard some coworkers of mine saying they dose it and it makes a huge difference in keeping them but so far this thing is healthy just not colorful. I dose all for reef for my tank everyday and use a calcium block once a week. If anyone has any suggestions. Is it possible to re color a coral

Water paremeters are as follows
Salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 150
Calcium 398
Magnesium 1442
Phosphates .4ish
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 30-40

IMG_6857.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So for all the Goni experts out there. I’ve got a pink and blue alveopora. Or at least it was. I’ve had this coral for around 2-3 years. It grows quite fast. I picked it up at an event and it was extremely colorful. Ever since then it hasn’t had much color to it. It’s rather dull (I’ll link a photo). I want to try and restore it to its former glory. I recently got a new light. Ecotech radion xr15g6
For my 40 gallon (not a 40 long/breeder) and previously had a single kessil 160we tuna blue on it for a year and a half. (Old light was way to weak) but I want to try and restore the coloration to this coral. The lights are set on acclimation mode so for now that’s a later problem. But I know goni, alevapora use manganese and a lot of it. But is that related to there color. I’ve heard some coworkers of mine saying they dose it and it makes a huge difference in keeping them but so far this thing is healthy just not colorful. I dose all for reef for my tank everyday and use a calcium block once a week. If anyone has any suggestions. Is it possible to re color a coral

Water paremeters are as follows
Salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 150
Calcium 398
Magnesium 1442
Phosphates .4ish
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 30-40

IMG_6857.jpeg
Phosphates up a little and occasionally add aminos and also manganese

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phosphates up a little and occasionally add aminos and also manganese
Not to speak for him but if @vetteguy53081 is saying to bring PO4 up, I'm guessing he misread 0.4ppm to be 0.04ppm. 0.03ppm to 0.1ppm is the typical R2R jargon I've seen recommended. Others surely are successful at higher levels but I think you might start bringing that level down until you find your own way into the results you want to see. From there people seem to dabble with numbers outside of the "normal range".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not to speak for him but if @vetteguy53081 is saying to bring PO4 up, I'm guessing he misread 0.4ppm to be 0.04ppm. 0.03ppm to 0.1ppm is the typical R2R jargon I've seen recommended. Others surely are successful at higher levels but I think you might start bringing that level down until you find your own way into the results you want to see. From there people seem to dabble with numbers outside of the "normal range".
.4 is elevated as he wants 0.5 -.1

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
.4 is elevated as he wants 0.5 -.1
I think i just misunderstood your response. "Phosphates up a little" to me read as if your advising he bring them up a little.

Also, I suspect you don't mean "0.5 -.1" but rather "0.05 - 0.1" 0.5 would be high.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back