+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
978ECCC1-40B7-4D52-B754-CB731191ED8A.jpeg
Any recommendations on the mix of blue, UV, violet, etc. you use to maximally show of your coral colors? This is not for growth or full time use, but something to switch to if you are showing off your tank to a friend or to enjoy in the evening. I know there is no one size fits but just curious what everyone uses or to see what mix people enjoy.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mooj

Mooj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciated! Probably a bizarre question to some but a bit like on an AV forum asking for what settings people have their 4K TVs on to extract the best picture. A mix of objective and subjective for sure.

Upvote 0

Luis's Nano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2189815Any recommendations on the mix of blue, UV, violet, etc. you use to maximally show of your coral colors? This is not for growth or full time use, but something to switch to if you are showing off your tank to a friend or to enjoy in the evening. I know there is no one size fits but just curious what everyone uses or to see what mix people enjoy.
I ran with WWC setup for their mixed reef and adjusted my time and intensity. You can download it on their website.

Upvote 0

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on the mix of blue, UV, violet, etc. you use to maximally show of your coral colors? This is not for growth or full time use, but something to switch to if you are showing off your tank to a friend or to enjoy in the evening. I know there is no one size fits but just curious what everyone uses or to see what mix people enjoy.
If you are just referring to flourescent pigments..
This should help..
Keep in mind that there is a peak wavelength w/ max fluorescence but it has a spread.
So no need for "exact" nm but close.
Of course it will depend on "your" pigments as well.

420nmb.jpg

If you want to highlight non-flourescent pigments switch to more daylight by adding red/green/some white.

Keep in mind the more light you see.. the less flourescent pigments will shine through.

One more...
Chalfie and Kain state 470nm is the universal LED for demonstrating coral fluorescence (meaning all fluorescence, except those with excitation/emission spectra below 470nm will 'glow'.)

470nm is "regular blue" btw..
You might want to skip the "UV" since high energy blue can "cloud" the water if you have particulates in it.
Probably more of an exception..
Speaking of exceptions.. interesting read..

Again it bears repeating that handling this kind of spectrum is like handling radioactive material – 370nm will nuke any medium light SPS and it would bleach any low light Leptoseris right before your eyes. If you’ve got a really SPS specific reef aquarium system with tons of shallow water Acros, the Vital Wave 370nm UVA LED spotlight would be a neat one to highlight celebrated strains like the Oregon Blue Tort or new ones like the Blueberry Shortcake.

That being said, best LED lights already do an awesome job of rendering all the colors of aquarium corals, and the UV in the 400 to 430nm range is probably ‘good enough’ for virtually all reefers. But if you wanted to push the envelope, dipping below 400nm would be a very interesting experiment.

FUN and dangerous thing is you can "catalog" what and how much each ind. glows under each single spectrum.
Making it your tank specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mooj

Mooj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just referring to flourescent pigments..
This should help..
Keep in mind that there is a peak wavelength w/ max fluorescence but it has a spread.
So no need for "exact" nm but close.
Of course it will depend on "your" pigments as well.

View attachment 2195857

If you want to highlight non-flourescent pigments switch to more daylight by adding red/green/some white.

Keep in mind the more light you see.. the less flourescent pigments will shine through.

One more...

470nm is "regular blue" btw..
You might want to skip the "UV" since high energy blue can "cloud" the water if you have particulates in it.
Probably more of an exception..
Speaking of exceptions.. interesting read..

FUN and dangerous thing is you can "catalog" what and how much each ind. glows under each single spectrum.
Making it your tank specific.
Wow, what an informative post! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mooj

Mooj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally! @Mooj I've set up a Scene on the mobius app and named it Glowy! It runs for 30 minutes.
I'm in the parking lot at work so I can't connect but I'll see what it is after my shift. Post it here
You read my mind. So many great ideas here that I might make save several scenes or play around with this a bit. I run the AB+ program for the most part but it’s cool to appreciate different corals in different spectrums from time to time.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back