Coral / clam killer ID needed

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip to the video below to avoid old guy rambling ;)

A little background. Been reefing for a bit over 8 years and durring that time I've never been able to keep euphylia long term. Some last longer than others but they alway wither and die. I had a frogspawn that lasted a year or so. Any torch I've tried only last a few week to a couple of months max. I've had similar experiences keeping clams. I had a couple that lasted over a year then just stop showing new growth and die. I added a wall hammer a few months ago and just like before it did well for a while then started to deteriate. Last night I decided to pull the hammer to do a sniff test. It didn't smell of death so I decided to dip it. That's when I saw the critter in the video. My guess is some type of flat worm but I'm not sure. Sorry for the long video but this thing was so cool to watch I had to make myself stop the video. The shape changing ability of it was amazing to me. Sucks that the bad things can be the coolest to watch.

I'm guessing maybe a baby polyclad flatworm but am unsure. Any help with a positive ID?

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a flatworm but I'm curious why it didn't flatten out. Maybe because of the dip.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a flatworm to me as well. Did any more come off after you dipped?

If you have anymore euphyllia, I would dip those too and see if you find anything.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a flatworm to me as well. Did any more come off after you dipped?

If you have anymore euphyllia, I would dip those too and see if you find anything.
I used Bayer so the water was cloudy. That and I'm a dork and dumped the water all at once instead of leaving some in the bottom so I could check.
I found a huge polyclad flatworm in some rock that came out of a tank tear down and much of the rock from that tank went into the tank the hammer was in so they're probably in there.
I have no other euphylia and I placed this one in another tank after dipping so hopefully I can nurse it back to health. I have a hunch I've had these things for a while and just wasn't observant enough to notice them. It would explain why I've never been able to keep some coral. Hopefully it's something I can eradicate but if not I'll just have be selective in what I add going forward.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Bayer so the water was cloudy. That and I'm a dork and dumped the water all at once instead of leaving some in the bottom so I could check.
I found a huge polyclad flatworm in some rock that came out of a tank tear down and much of the rock from that tank went into the tank the hammer was in so they're probably in there.
I have no other euphylia and I placed this one in another tank after dipping so hopefully I can nurse it back to health. I have a hunch I've had these things for a while and just wasn't observant enough to notice them. It would explain why I've never been able to keep some coral. Hopefully it's something I can eradicate but if not I'll just have be selective in what I add going forward.
That sounds like a good plan so far. Have you ever looked at the tank after the lights have turned off? I found two large polyclads after I received some new live rock using that method. They come out and prowl for food. I scooped them out with a net and am now keeping lots of euphyllia and clams as well with that same rock.

You can also make a trap I think and bait using clams.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good plan so far. Have you ever looked at the tank after the lights have turned off? I found two large polyclads after I received some new live rock using that method. They come out and prowl for food. I scooped them out with a net and am now keeping lots of euphyllia and clams as well with that same rock.

You can also make a trap I think and bait using clams.

I'll admit I haven't watched the tanks a night as much as I should. I bought a couple of red lights to start.
I had a CBB in observation in my stock tank which houses the rock from the the tear down and I hung a little neck clam for the fish and caught the guy below. It had eaten the entire clam. I need to come up with a trap. Maybe an inverted bottle trap too small for fish.
I haven't watched this video in a while but it sure looks similar with the exception this one has markings but it's larger.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does seem to be a flatworm of some kind - pics of it from the top so we can see the full body/pattern on it would be useful. Given where you found it, though, I'd suggest looking up Euphyllia-eating Flatworms and seeing if it's a match.
I'll admit I haven't watched the tanks a night as much as I should. I bought a couple of red lights to start.
I had a CBB in observation in my stock tank which houses the rock from the the tear down and I hung a little neck clam for the fish and caught the guy below. It had eaten the entire clam. I need to come up with a trap. Maybe an inverted bottle trap too small for fish.
I haven't watched this video in a while but it sure looks similar with the exception this one has markings but it's larger.

This is a different kind of flatworm than the one you currently have (I remembered the thread for this video):
For anyone interested- Pericelis tectivorum; the Reticulated/Giant Predatory/Leopard Flatworm.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does seem to be a flatworm of some kind - pics of it from the top so we can see the full body/pattern on it would be useful. Given where you found it, though, I'd suggest looking up Euphyllia-eating Flatworms and seeing if it's a match.

This is a different kind of flatworm than the one you currently have (I remembered the thread for this video):
Memory is a terrible thing to loose :crying-face: Polyclad are the little ones aka pumpkin flatworms I believe. I'm lucky enough to have those as well lol. The one in question has been disposed of. If I find another I'll try for a top down shot and update here. Thank you

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyclad are the little ones aka pumpkin flatworms I believe. I'm lucky enough to have those as well lol.
Haha, close - polyclad flatworms are a broad group that are typically somewhat larger and predatory; the group includes both coral-eating flatworms and the leopard flatworm you had. Pumpkin flatworms are Waminoa flatworms, which are acoel flatworms (like ghost flatworms and red "planaria" flatworms) instead of polyclads.

(Don't worry, it's confusing and I honestly don't expect people to remember this info - it's just fun for me to reiterate it anyway).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, close - polyclad flatworms are a broad group that are typically somewhat larger and predatory; the group includes both coral-eating flatworms and the leopard flatworm you had. Pumpkin flatworms are Waminoa flatworms, which are acoel flatworms (like ghost flatworms and red "planaria" flatworms) instead of polyclads.

(Don't worry, it's confusing and I honestly don't expect people to remember this info - it's just fun for me to reiterate it anyway).
Well, since we are stumbling around on Memory Lane, can you help us recall if KCL dips will expose these larger flatworms to SDS (Sudden death Syndrome) if they are given a 5 minute dip?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since we are stumbling around on Memory Lane, can you help us recall if KCL dips will expose these larger flatworms to SDS (Sudden death Syndrome) if they are given a 5 minute dip?
I've heard KCL is effective against a variety of flatworms, so I'd at least expect it to stun them and knock them off the coral. I haven't looked into dips too much yet, so I don't know what concentrations or times would be best though.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can tell you what the letter and number designation mean on the engine model of a 1983 Nissan sentra :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what the letter and number designation mean on the engine model of a 1983 Nissan sentra :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Does Nissan make a dipstick to prevent polyclads in their engines?

Scared Chewing Gum GIF
That's neat!:anguished-face: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :thinking-face: :cool:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back