Coral beauty not very interested in food, what can I try feeding?

Nutramar

kierstin1993

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought a coral beauty yesterday. It’s not that’s she’s not eating, but it’s very little. I’ve fed her twice now and she will eat like one little piece and let the rest float around her. Seems like she’s more interested in picking at the bottom of the tank, so maybe she’s eating food as it’s falling to the bottom and I’m just not seeing the food because it’s smaller pieces?
I gave her a seaweed clip this morning and she doesn’t seem interested in that either…going to give it some time and hope she gets her appetite but in the mean time, what can I try feeding to entice her? Thinking maybe some clam?

She’s in a 20 gallon QT, no visible sickness as of yet, currently I’m feeding San Francisco Bay Brand: emerald entrée which has Mysis, brine, spirulina, spinach, and romaine & red leaf lettuce.
For seaweed I gave her Ocean Nutrition: green marine algae.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought a coral beauty yesterday. It’s not that’s she’s not eating, but it’s very little. I’ve fed her twice now and she will eat like one little piece and let the rest float around her. Seems like she’s more interested in picking at the bottom of the tank, so maybe she’s eating food as it’s falling to the bottom and I’m just not seeing the food because it’s smaller pieces?
I gave her a seaweed clip this morning and she doesn’t seem interested in that either…going to give it some time and hope she gets her appetite but in the mean time, what can I try feeding to entice her? Thinking maybe some clam?

She’s in a 20 gallon QT, no visible sickness as of yet, currently I’m feeding San Francisco Bay Brand: emerald entrée which has Mysis, brine, spirulina, spinach, and romaine & red leaf lettuce.
Are you able to try live sponges and macro algae? I have found angels usually can’t resist sponges.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Piscans

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you could go out to a dock & look for sponges on the dock pilings. Paul B did this to feed a moorish idol. they dont live long but they freeze well

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
K

kierstin1993

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could go out to a dock & look for sponges on the dock pilings. Paul B did this to feed a moorish idol. they dont live long but they freeze well
Thanks! I have some sort of green sponge growing in my display tank and some pineapple sponges too, maybe I could try that?

argiBK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds normal. I find that it takes a week or two for wild caught dwarf angels to acclimate to prepared foods. Also, depending on their size and how much flora/fauna you have on your rocks, they should be fine for the time being as they learn to take food out of the water column.

If anything, maybe try soaking in garlic to trigger a feeding response?

OP
OP
K

kierstin1993

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the LFS feeding her? Not uncommon for new fish still acclimating.
Unfortunately I bought this one at petco, they feed pellet food. The problem is the woman working had no idea when this fish came in, it was definitely with in the last week but she couldn’t confirm if it had been eating. Definitely took a gamble buying her lol

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

kierstin1993

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds normal. I find that it takes a week or two for wild caught dwarf angels to acclimate to prepared foods. Also, depending on their size and how much flora/fauna you have on your rocks, they should be fine for the time being as they learn to take food out of the water column.

If anything, maybe try soaking in garlic to trigger a feeding response?
Thank you! I don’t have a lot of experience with angel fish and most fish I buy eat right away. Hopefully she gets her appetite soon!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back