Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just received an online order that includes a copperband butterfly.

It's mouth does not look quite normal to me, as It looks like its lower part is bent.
Could you please confirm this?

If it is bent, is there any thing I can do to help it (other than obviously feeding well and keeping parameter in check)?
Will it heal back to normal?

copperband2.jpg
copperband.jpg

OP
OP
M

Madison Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copperband3.jpg
copperband4.jpg

Do they normally keep their mouth open like this?
I am also seeing red mark on his body :(
Please let me know if you are having trouble watching the video.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species is really prone to damaging its snout during transport. If it is eating, that’s a good sign. There is no treatment for this, just time.
I couldn’t see the red marks, but this species is also prone to Uronema when you first get them, that is difficult to treat.
Jay

OP
OP
M

Madison Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hope its not uronema since I did not perform formalin dip....
So if it were to survive, does it have any chance to heal itself? or will it live with broken jaw?
red mark1.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't rule out Uronema, this spot seems pretty small and looks like three red spots in a row - Uronema doesn't look like that. I can also see some possible dislodge scales midway down the third stripe. Combine that with the injured jaw and I'd say this fish was poorly handled during the supply chain, getting to you. Most fish recover well from this sort of incidental damage, but copperbands are very delicate. I don't see any signs of secondary infection, so I would just feed it well, multiple times a day and see how it does.
It looks like it is in a quarantine tank, so I would run a preventative quarantine protocol on it as well.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Madison Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't rule out Uronema, this spot seems pretty small and looks like three red spots in a row - Uronema doesn't look like that. I can also see some possible dislodge scales midway down the third stripe. Combine that with the injured jaw and I'd say this fish was poorly handled during the supply chain, getting to you. Most fish recover well from this sort of incidental damage, but copperbands are very delicate. I don't see any signs of secondary infection, so I would just feed it well, multiple times a day and see how it does.
It looks like it is in a quarantine tank, so I would run a preventative quarantine protocol on it as well.

Jay
Thank you so much for your help. I also thought it was shippied poorly, not uronema.
Yes I will do a preventative quarantine after I have them all fatten up.
rd-to-keep-species.906341/
1650060874884.png

From the link above, I see this one has lympho on his mouth. Do you think this could be my case? (lympho instead of broken snout?)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time will tell if it develops into lymphocystis, but I doubt it (you would likely first see granulomas on the clear parts of the fins first.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back