Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2 months old. Right after my initial cycle I put in a bottle of copepods from Algaebarn. Then a couple weeks ago I put in quite a few bottles from Jay’s Reef Bugs (highly recommend). I have been feeding with Ocean Magik about 3-4 times a week.

I have been looking regularly to see if I can see any swimming around or on the glass and I have never seen a single one over the 2 months.

Well today they are EVERYWHERE. All over the glass on all 4 sides, some areas they are super dense. They’re literal thousands that I can see.

I wonder what the difference to make them all come out literally overnight. I watch my tank pretty often and I swear they weren’t there just yesterday.

Corals.com
BRS

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ai ordered aboclypse pods this happened to me after the timing of the first clutches would have hatched, which makes ne think it might have been the tisbees I added a month prior.

They absolutely exploded and were everywhere, but have since dwindled. It seems to come in waves, i think even with a constant abundance of food for them, the combination of using felt filter socks and running UV at night knocked them back down. Right now I dont see very many copepods, maybe like 10 or so on the front flass if I don't scrape, but the isopods and amphipods are everywhere.

a007grif

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run UV and moved to less micron filter socks to allow them all through and circulate more. My pod population is insane at the moment, even with 2 gobys. I too have seen them dwindle but i either just wait and them cycle back to large populations or I buy a few more bottles and dose. Oh, I have been buying from Florida Reef Labs for years and i can see differences in each species easily in the bottles before adding. I have tried a few other online big name vendors and some of them say they are selling a certain species but put under microscope and not what was ordered. :0

BRS

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run UV and moved to less micron filter socks to allow them all through and circulate more. My pod population is insane at the moment, even with 2 gobys. I too have seen them dwindle but i either just wait and them cycle back to large populations or I buy a few more bottles and dose. Oh, I have been buying from Florida Reef Labs for years and i can see differences in each species easily in the bottles before adding. I have tried a few other online big name vendors and some of them say they are selling a certain species but put under microscope and not what was ordered. :0
I can't find a site for that vendor, I can only find the ICP testing. Interested in checking out their pods

a007grif

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a site for that vendor, I can only find the ICP testing. Interested in checking out their pods

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since copepods experience exponential growth, what you see is not uncommon at all. Tisbe and Apocyclops in particular grow rapidly (egg to egg in 1-2 weeks). If you had 100,000 females that each laid 30 eggs and half survived, you could literally have 15x the population in a matter of days (under the right circumstances). As has been previously mentioned, pods are like any other clean-up crew in your tank, in that their population will rise and fall (rapidly) as resources dictate.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back