Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been discussed before, and I looked around for similar threads, but I think this may be more of a person to person experience. I picked up quite a few new corals (several SPS) in a big sale and now I’m wondering what to do with my Softie/LPS nano tank.

I think I picked up mostly easier to care for SPS with Montis and smooth skin Acros so that may make this a little easier.

I am running a tank with lots of softies and a few LPS around 100 par everywhere currently with the AI prime on an IM 14 gallon penninsula. I picked up more torches and mushrooms and some Gonis as well that I will be adding. Should I move my torches to lower on the scape and put all of my new SPS on the top of the scape and slowly work my Par levels up? Should I just create a little SPS island in one of the bottom corners and just see what they do under 100 par? Any advice or other issues you see?

Any input is appreciated but here is my current scape before I add the new Montis, smooth acros, torches, Gonis, and mushrooms
I really appreciate any help I can get, I’m still new to this.
491B6E9F-3C92-4A39-8B0B-9839259A663A.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Not woodyarmadillo

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I know I need to adjust lighting and monitor water parameters but I guess I’m wondering, how will these softies do in 200-250 par? My understanding is with my setup, once adjusted, I’ll have about 200 par about 6” down at rock work and then about 200 par around the outside of the tank at the bottom. Do I need to have GSP, mushrooms, Zoas etc into a low area in the middle of the tank? Or can they handle 200-250 Par as long as I acclimate them?
You'll want most SPS higher up in the 250-ish PAR range for best results. Calcium and magnesium are also much more important for SPS.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to manage a mixed reef in a small environment like that. All you can do is place SPS at the highest levels and adjust par for them and hope your lower level corals acclimate to it. Increase par slowly like 1% per day. SPS require a very stable mature tank

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back