Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile, but converting from fresh to salt is kinda a PITA. It is relatively simple but you are better off starting a straight up salt water tank. First is the filtration, You can go HOB or AIO (they make drop in AIO kits for most tanks now) but they can only do so much. A sump is probably one of the best things for a saltwater aquarium. You can hide equipment and gives you a larger water volume. Overflows that HOB are finicky, get a bubble in it and it'll lose its prime a your return pump will suffer for it (assuming you are using a sump). Honestly get a 40 breeder drill it for an overflow and build a sump. You will save a ton of money and it's pretty rewarding doing it yourself. It's also not that difficult. The knowledge you gain is also scalable to larger aquariums.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile, but converting from fresh to salt is kinda a PITA. It is relatively simple but you are better off starting a straight up salt water tank. First is the filtration, You can go HOB or AIO (they make drop in AIO kits for most tanks now) but they can only do so much. A sump is probably one of the best things for a saltwater aquarium. You can hide equipment and gives you a larger water volume. Overflows that HOB are finicky, get a bubble in it and it'll lose its prime a your return pump will suffer for it (assuming you are using a sump). Honestly get a 40 breeder drill it for an overflow and build a sump. You will save a ton of money and it's pretty rewarding doing it yourself. It's also not that difficult. The knowledge you gain is also scalable to larger aquariums.
what is an aio. I have a 10 gallon I could use to make a sump and as much as I would rather upgrade, I can only kep this 29 gallon for the time being. I plan to do corals only with maybe only a lawnmower blenny. I am not into fish. Could you recommend anything so I can learn to build said overflow?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a 45 to salt with just a tidal 110 (really all my tanks are frsh that I converted). It worked out well and now its plumbed to my main tank as a refugium. I'd say the biggest difference is that the algae's in salt water can be brutal.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a 45 to salt with just a tidal 110 (really all my tanks are frsh that I converted). It worked out well and now its plumbed to my main tank as a refugium. I'd say the biggest difference is that the algae's in salt water can be brutal.
That I saw. I have had hairalgae in my tank and it is so annoying but it is manageable. It says that the tidal 110 is a surface skimmer? Is this sort of like a psuedo-protein skimmer?

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works but its not the most effective. My tip. Replace the sponge with filter floss and as much biological as possible. Then replace the filter floss often.
Also growing macro algae is very helpful and there are plenty of beautiful ones that look great in a reef tank. Also add pods early!

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is an aio. I have a 10 gallon I could use to make a sump and as much as I would rather upgrade, I can only kep this 29 gallon for the time being. I plan to do corals only with maybe only a lawnmower blenny. I am not into fish. Could you recommend anything so I can learn to build said overflow?
Coral is a lot trickier than fish.

If you want coral and this is your first experience with saltwater you probably would be better off doing it with a purpose designed saltwater tank.

It's a very steep learning curve, and every little bit of technology helps.
Not saying you can't do it with a plain tank and a HOB filter, it's just making life very difficult for yourself, and failure doesn't come cheap.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I saw. I have had hairalgae in my tank and it is so annoying but it is manageable. It says that the tidal 110 is a surface skimmer? Is this sort of like a psuedo-protein skimmer?
Kinda but instead of getting that nastiness into a collection cup it gets to the media chamber where it either breaks down into nitrate or is removed via the floss as someone mentioned.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO means all in one.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want coral and this is your first experience with saltwater you probably would be better off doing it with a purpose designed saltwater tank.

Not saying you can't do it with a plain tank and a HOB filter, it's just making life very difficult for yourself, and failure doesn't come cheap.
Oh yeah definitely. I will probably set up the tank and let it mature first. It is what I did with some other freshwater builds and just go it slow.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah definitely. I will probably set up the tank and let it mature first. It is what I did with some other freshwater builds and just go it slow.
Okies, first tip, don't waste money on an API Master kit. Buy Salifert kits to start. :)

Good luck.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I strongly second this

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back