Consumption kh drops and bleaching

schramstein1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there fellow reefers, i am having a strange issue. My tank is 2 years old and 2000Litres and i used to use triton core 7 about 230ml a day! So i could say its a lot but i did not care as the tank was growing very hard. Than suddenly in june i got a bacterial issue on a caliendrum which was enormous and i had to cut and prune the tank. All the frags i put in a frag tank in the same system and the consuming dropped in june back to about 110ml a day. So same amount of corals except the large caliendrum was beyond saving. Also my po4 went from 0.04 to 0.01

Than in july after the cutting i got a brown jelly infection on all euphyllia. I used cypro threatment and those all recovered after the threatment. Than in august my consumption is stll 110 ml a day and euphyllia grow very fast. But acros grow less and less i see a little necrose. Lost some corals, but if i frag a acropora coral it doesnt heal fast and some small algae grow on the wounds, or it starts bleaching from the wound.
po4 is now stable at 0.04 /0.06 nitate 5-10

Temperature in august during few weeks was 26 degrees at day 24 at night. Maybe the temp swings?

So something is wrong, setup did not change, same light , water icp test shows some things but not in my opinion anything that causes these problems. I am out of ideas what to do. Acropora Corals are not dying, but more in a slumbering state. And now slowly a little bleaching some arms with less light or near the foot.

All help and ideas are welcome,

Regards

Remy

IMG_9060.jpeg IMG_9059.jpeg

ReneReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the test the lithium is low. So I wouldn't remove more.
Whether it's so low that it would cause issues. That's another question. I don't think so.

That aluminium level is no problem at all.

The problems you describe could have many causes. Lighting, flow, nitrients/carbon dosing, pH, long term (in)stability etc etc. The Cypro could have played a roll (destabilizing things) , but it might only have been the last drop to cause a chain of events.

What I can tell from the information you give, 230mL a day of Core7 is not much on a tank this size.
I'd say it's low to average for a stony coral tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

schramstein1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thanks for your input,

Well i do not do any carbon dosing, lighting is the same and flow i just yesterday decided to do a cleaning to be sure this is not it.

Ph is about 8.2 but phosphate has been at 0.01 about 2 months ago now it is stable at 0.06. I feed a lot of dry food last few monrhs and less frozen food could that be of any impact?

Just thinking out loud, what did i mis. Or why is my tank using less than before.

Kind regards Remy

Ps a picture from
The tank today

According to the test the lithium is low. So I wouldn't remove more.
Whether it's so low that it would cause issues. That's another question. I don't think so.

That aluminium level is no problem at all.

The problems you describe could have many causes. Lighting, flow, nitrients/carbon dosing, pH, long term (in)stability etc etc. The Cypro could have played a roll (destabilizing things) , but it might only have been the last drop to cause a chain of events.

What I can tell from the information you give, 230mL a day of Core7 is not much on a tank this size.
I'd say it's low to average for a stony coral tank.

OP
OP
S

schramstein1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 weekly waterchanges of 20% ,some added bacteria nothing changed. Strontium level was always low even when i had the high use.
Any other idea is welcome

remy

Attachments

• IMG_9447.jpeg
    IMG_9447.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9448.jpeg
    IMG_9448.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9449.jpeg
    IMG_9449.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 7

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back