Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Nero5s at each end at around 70% on random. Its no washing machine but i was thinking of adding a gyro at the top of the tank on the back wall of the tank. Tank is 4ft wide. I also have a good amount of cyano on the sand only so maybe more flow will help. But I have more sps.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typically more flow is never a bad thing. Especially if you have any zones in your tank that are pretty stagnant. People are always shocked to see how many powerheads we have in our farm tanks. You just want to make sure you have nice strong random flow. Make sure no corals are just getting hammered directly because that will likely stress them out. More flow should also help with your cyano.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slowly going the other way decreasing flow. Going at roughly 30x turnover now. Mixed reef corals with a lot of SPS. Everything has responded much better with the decrease.

OP you should focus on your GPH turnover rate relative to the type of corals you have.

Nutramar Foods

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow equals less detritus and if you have the nutrients, greater coral growth.

However, it's very hard to get enough flow for Acropora when housed with LPS in a mixed environment. That type of turnover will destroy many LPS.

Your tank size/shape will dictate a lot in regards to flow.

For instance, I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 and I run the Ecotech Vectra S1 return pump, which I adjust down so not a tremendous amount of flow from that,and I also run 4 Ecotech Vortech MP40s. I position two on each side of the back wall and 1 on the left side of the tank, 1 on the right side. I leave the left side higher up to the front (closer to front glass) and put the right side lower to the right (closer to back glass).

That gives me a really good circular flow from back to front and left to right.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow equals less detritus and if you have the nutrients, greater coral growth.

However, it's very hard to get enough flow for Acropora when housed with LPS in a mixed environment. That type of turnover will destroy many LPS.

Your tank size/shape will dictate a lot in regards to flow.

For instance, I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2 and I run the Ecotech Vectra S1 return pump, which I adjust down so not a tremendous amount of flow from that,and I also run 4 Ecotech Vortech MP40s. I position two on each side of the back wall and 1 on the left side of the tank, 1 on the right side. I leave the left side higher up to the front (closer to front glass) and put the right side lower to the right (closer to back glass).

That gives me a really good circular flow from back to front and left to right.
I have the same tank and components. 4 MP40s is way to much flow for our size tank
I run 2 of them on opposite sides 3 inches below the surface. They ramp up to 26% reefcrest during the day and 20% lagoon mode overnight. I have 38 SPS corals along with a bunch of LPS and softs. Very much a mixed reef at roughly 30x turnover including the M2 return pump at 45% constant.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and components. 4 MP40s is way to much flow for our size tank
I run 2 of them on opposite sides 3 inches below the surface. They ramp up to 26% reefcrest during the day and 20% lagoon mode overnight. I have 38 SPS corals along with a bunch of LPS and softs. Very much a mixed reef at roughly 30x turnover including the M2 return pump at 45% constant.
Haha, yeah it's a lot, but works for me.

I run mine at 55% on the back wall on Tidal swell and 70% on the sides on a mix of reef crest, Tidal swell and Gyre. My Acropora are doing great.

I've thought of moving them all to the back, but I don't think I would get the flow in the back like I do now. The rocks would interfere.

Zoom a little and you can see them

20230319_222741.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run mine at 55% on the back wall on Tidal swell and 70% on the sides on a mix of reef crest, Tidal swell and Gyre. My Acropora are doing great.

I've thought of moving them all to the back, but I don't think I would get the flow in the back like I do now. The rocks would interfere.

View attachment 3073883
Well beautiful tank and each tank is unique and if your set up is giving you the results you want stay the course. I was running around 42% before and now that I've come down to 26% much better coral growth and reaction throughout the day.

Sorry for the temporary thread jack OP but I am now in the less is more flow group.

Attachments

• 20230219_132119.jpg
    20230219_132119.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 8

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3073883
I have to ask what light brackets are you using on your rimless, I'm looking for something similar!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back