Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50-gallon All-In-One Reef. I am wanting to get a UV Sterilizer to help manage Marine Ich, etc. I have been getting conflicting information. On one hand, I am told that I have to have something at least 40watt in order to manage parasites like Ich. On the other hand, I've been told that even doing something like an 8-watt Aqua Advantage HOB with a slower flow rate would work. There seems to be a stark contrast between these two options. Experienced UV users, I would love your thoughts.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either would work........the majority of your bacteria is not in the water column so there is no danger of doing any damage there. I personally would opt for the stronger unit and just run it on a timer if needed.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either would work........the majority of your bacteria is not in the water column so there is no danger of doing any damage there. I personally would opt for the stronger unit and just run it on a timer if needed.
I saw the post and didn’t know what to reply and then @Waters & @Hurricane Aquatics filled the knowledge gap.

UV sunburns to death living things in the water column. The more watts the more water you can pass through the unit and achieve an effect kill rate with the toxic sunburn scorching life out of the water.

Waters made an excellent point(s) as a large unit provides more flow and time options for small and large tanks.

I think they can be useful with newer tanks with ich issues but recommend feeding live or fresh frozen clams, oysters chopped up whole to boost the health of your fish and improve their immune response against all sorts of diseases including ich. The fish would rather eat well than have a cool UV glow in the environment,. Hth

Last edited:
OP
OP
taylored_projects

taylored_projects

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the post and didn’t know what to reply and then @Waters & @Hurricane Aquatics filled the knowledge gap.

UV sunburns to death living things in the water column. The more watts the more water you can pass through the unit and achieve an effect kill rate with the toxic sunburn scorching life out of the water.

Waters made an excellent point(s) as a large unit provides more flow and time options for small and large tanks.

I think they can be useful with newer tanks with ich issues but recommend feeding live or fresh frozen clams, oysters chopped up whole to boost the health of your fish and improve their immune response against all sorts of diseases including ich. The fish would rather eat well than have a cool UV glow in the environment,. Hth
I’ve started go ring my fish a variety of foods soaked in vitamins, Selcon, vitachem etc.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back