Conch back from hibernation with a new tankmate?

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a conch from Dr. Reef that has been in my Evo 13.5g for about 10 months. Almost never see it. Sometimes, I sift the sand and surprise myself finding it, and then it buries itself. It is a "fighting" conch from Dr. Reef, but it is not very large, maybe an inch in length.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a shipment from ReefCleaners with a "bear conch", which is around 1.5". This guy is ACTIVE. In fact, it is one of the best cleaners I've had, putting the pencil urchin (which spends most of it's time turning my rocks white) and the recently deceased turbos to shame. It goes all around the sand with it's trunk vacuuming and has totally cleaned up my zoas that have been struggling for months with GHA growing between them, and is now attacking GHA on the lower part of the rocks. It almost never buries itself.

Well, lo and behold, the old fighting conch has emerged and taken a new interest in the surface. Still buries itself, but I've seen it out more in the last week than in the last several months combined. So far I have seen no aggression between them, although they have been near each other. It's just curious that the old conch is now active after the introduction of a new (and presumably different species) conch. They don't look very different actually, and have the same stripy pattern on their shells.

In any case, anyone notice something like this before?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220902_180339344.jpg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still amazes me how behavior changes in a tank with a small change in inhabitants. Here are the two conches, the original one (upper left) working furiously as if to say, "look, I'm doing my job, please don't take me off of payroll!"

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back