Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a clown who has white, stringy poop and is bloating - won’t eat anymore.

I think it’s a protozoan/bacterial infection that’s irritating him internally causing the swelling and mucus / string poop from the infection + starvation.

Since it won’t eat metro soaked food, is a highly concentrated metro bath an option?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I think it’s a protozoan/bacterial infection that’s irritating him internally causing the swelling and mucus / string poop from the infection + starvation.

Since it won’t eat metro soaked food, is a highly concentrated metro bath an option?
White stringy poop can be an internal issue as well as constipation and also food based (if youre feeding mysis and brine shrimp - can mimic white poop) but the bloating suggests differently. The main cause of constipation and indigestion is based on foods fed. If youre feeding a pellet diet- that will often cause this.
Last cause could be swim bladder which causes bladder to swell due to infection or disease prevented poo to be expelled causing the fish to become constipated.
Best treatment would be seachem neoplex since fish is not eating and it treats bloating

OP
OP
TateLitts

TateLitts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop can be an internal issue as well as constipation and also food based (if youre feeding mysis and brine shrimp - can mimic white poop) but the bloating suggests differently. The main cause of constipation and indigestion is based on foods fed. If youre feeding a pellet diet- that will often cause this.
Last cause could be swim bladder which causes bladder to swell due to infection or disease prevented poo to be expelled causing the fish to become constipated.
Best treatment would be seachem neoplex since fish is not eating and it treats bloating
I’ve been feeding almost exclusively Reef Frenzy…

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The highest dose I have for metronidazole baths in my formularies is 25 ppm as a static 24 hour bath. If you can do that, it would be best.

Jay

JaFish720

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest dose I have for metronidazole baths in my formularies is 25 ppm as a static 24 hour bath. If you can do that, it would be best.

Jay
I think I’m dealing with the exact same issue with one of my clowns. How do I measure the metro? I have metroplex available to me how much in a gallon for a 1-1.5 inch clown?

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m dealing with the exact same issue with one of my clowns. How do I measure the metro? I have metroplex available to me how much in a gallon for a 1-1.5 inch clown?

Metroplex is only 70% metronidazole, so that makes a math a bit tougher.

If it were 100% metronidazole, 25 mg/l would be 0.09 grams in one gallon of tank water. I *think* since it is only 70% active drug, you need to increase that by 30%, so 0.12 grams. You would need a gram scale to do this.

Jay

JaFish720

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is only 70% metronidazole, so that makes a math a bit tougher.

If it were 100% metronidazole, 25 mg/l would be 0.09 grams in one gallon of tank water. I *think* since it is only 70% active drug, you need to increase that by 30%, so 0.12 grams. You would need a gram scale to do this.

Jay
Thank you so much

JaFish720

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post in case someone else has the same problem. This totally worked for my fish as well!! No more white poop or bloating and much more active and happy. I didn’t have straight metro but used 1 “scoop” metroplex in one gallon for 1 hour with an air stone. I planned on doing one more round if I saw any more issues but I haven’t and it’s been a week

Attachments

• F1ED32EE-D24C-4A4C-AE0B-3AFA3C2E0043.jpeg
    F1ED32EE-D24C-4A4C-AE0B-3AFA3C2E0043.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 10
Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back