Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am wanting to add a Royal Gramma and a Mandarin Dragonet to my 40 gal. mixed reef. Will these two get along, or is it with caution? Or just not a good idea?

There is a good amount of copepods established, but you can never have enough.

They would be joining a Sixline Wrasse and Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair.

Avast

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get a mandarin that is eating prepared foods like frozen or pellets and you should be fine.

The sixline wrasse is actually the one I would be looking at for aggression, I wont keep one anymore after mine started chasing every fish in the tank and biting their fins, but some people have had peaceful ones. These seem to be a hit or miss species in regards to aggression and nipping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I am wanting to add a Royal Gramma and a Mandarin Dragonet to my 40 gal. mixed reef. Will these two get along, or is it with caution? Or just not a good idea?

They would be joining a Sixline Wrasse and Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair.
Gramma can or may be a jerk towards the mandarin but only time will tell. Provide ample hiding and for mandarin. . . . Pods, baby artemia(brine) and rotifiers

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get a mandarin that is eating prepared foods like frozen or pellets and you should be fine.

The sixline wrasse is actually the one I would be looking at for aggression, I wont keep one anymore after mine started chasing every fish in the tank and biting their fins, but some people have had peaceful ones. These seem to be a hit or miss species in regards to aggression and nipping
We've been lucky with our sixline so far, when we had other fishes, it got along well. That might change I suppose with new additions.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma can or may be a jerk towards the mandarin but only time will tell. Provide ample hiding and for mandarin. . . . Pods, baby artemia(brine) and rotifiers
There looks to be adequate hiding space, might add some more rock work if we need to.
Would it be best to introduce the two at the same time? Or perhaps the Mandarin before the Royal Gramma?

Cincyreefer513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 Flex so close to your size tank.
Currently, there is a RG, clown pair, McCoskers wrasse, and a Citron clown goby. My wife really wants a mandarin, but I'm hesitant with the whole pod thing unless we breed our own. For my tank and RG specifically, he was the first fish added and is definitely king of the tank although nothing too crazy. The goby is always hanging out in his areas and the Gramma didn't like it at first, but despite all of the body shakes and open mouth tantrums, the goby showed he ain't playing no games and wouldn't budge lol Now the RG doesn't care.
The wrasse is the only other fish to enter the RG's domain and is occasionally chased off. When the wrasse was first introduced, the RG was constantly chasing him around no matter where in the water column he was in for the first month. I had to take the RG out for a month and then dropped him back in. So far, so good nearly 4 months later.
I would say it depends on the particular fish, but it could be fine. I'd personally add the mandarin first and let it establish itself for a couple months and then add the RG. Later down the road if the RG decides he doesn't like the mandarin, take the RG out for at least a couple weeks and try again.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 Flex so close to your size tank.
Currently, there is a RG, clown pair, McCoskers wrasse, and a Citron clown goby. My wife really wants a mandarin, but I'm hesitant with the whole pod thing unless we breed our own. For my tank and RG specifically, he was the first fish added and is definitely king of the tank although nothing too crazy. The goby is always hanging out in his areas and the Gramma didn't like it at first, but despite all of the body shakes and open mouth tantrums, the goby showed he ain't playing no games and wouldn't budge lol Now the RG doesn't care.
The wrasse is the only other fish to enter the RG's domain and is occasionally chased off. When the wrasse was first introduced, the RG was constantly chasing him around no matter where in the water column he was in for the first month. I had to take the RG out for a month and then dropped him back in. So far, so good nearly 4 months later.
I would say it depends on the particular fish, but it could be fine. I'd personally add the mandarin first and let it establish itself for a couple months and then add the RG. Later down the road if the RG decides he doesn't like the mandarin, take the RG out for at least a couple weeks and try again.
I was thinking the same reasons about adding the Mandarin first, we're not in any rush and will probly quarantine the fishes first anyways.
Our YWG can be pretty territorial so I'm not too worried about him.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cincyreefer513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same reasons about adding the Mandarin first, we're not in any rush and will probly quarantine the fishes first anyways.
Our YWG can be pretty territorial so I'm not too worried about him.
It's possible the YWG will be mean at first too since they'd be sharing some of the same areas. If things get out of hand with any fish, always try taking out the problem fish for a while and then reintroduce to see if that helps. More often than not, it does in my experience.

It also depends on the mandarin's temperament. Both my wrasse and goby are extremely docile, however, one stands his ground and the other freaks out and swims away. I've never kept a mandarin so I don't know how they typically are, but I'm thinking they are more on the very peaceful side.
I'd definitely like to know how it pans out if you go through with it!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, they should be fine together. The six-line and Royal G might not be best friends but should be good with enough hiding spaces.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just add pods.

AS

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have both, 4 years.
The RG loves his rock, the mandarin likes to hunt.
Neither pay any attention to each other.
Never had any fish bother a mandarin, except another mandarin, but even that can work.
It’s weird huh. It’s almost like all other fish don’t mind a mandarin. A mandarin will swim by almost any fish and almost touch it and it seems like even aggressive fish don’t mind it at all….

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There looks to be adequate hiding space, might add some more rock work if we need to.
Would it be best to introduce the two at the same time? Or perhaps the Mandarin before the Royal Gramma?
Mandarin first to allow it to settle in a pick a favorite spot

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird huh. It’s almost like all other fish don’t mind a mandarin. A mandarin will swim by almost any fish and almost touch it and it seems like even aggressive fish don’t mind it at all….
Very true, I wonder if they see the mandarin as “toxic” with the bold coloring.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a scooter blenny in a well established pod filled tank, and and a Gramma and a black capped basslet and a six line (in a hiding rich environment) and they all get along

I for one am 50% on jerk 6 lines, and 100% for angel grammas - I know they can be pugnacious, but never had a bully

Hope that helps

Top Shelf Aquatics

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23AC545A-23DF-4EBA-A183-0376C335672F.jpeg

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a scooter blenny in a well established pod filled tank, and and a Gramma and a black capped basslet and a six line (in a hiding rich environment) and they all get along

I for one am 50% on jerk 6 lines, and 100% for angel grammas - I know they can be pugnacious, but never had a bully

Hope that helps
What size is your tank? We have a 40 gal., would that be an ok size given enough hiding spaces and caves?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back