Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the Animal Fair
[Frag Farmers' Market yesterday]
The corals and the worms were there
I impulse bought
A coco worm
And I've lost the metre.

Anyway. I did. I love my feather dusters and have several and I saw the coco worms and thought they'd be a nice addition. Then I came home and Dr. Google says they're very difficult. Has anyone kept them? Any advice or are they doomed?

And why can't we get stores to quit selling the critters that are basically doomed in captivity?

Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jose Mayo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the Animal Fair
[Frag Farmers' Market yesterday]
The corals and the worms were there
I impulse bought
A coco worm
And I've lost the metre.

Anyway. I did. I love my feather dusters and have several and I saw the coco worms and thought they'd be a nice addition. Then I came home and Dr. Google says they're very difficult. Has anyone kept them? Any advice or are they doomed?

And why can't we get stores to quit selling the critters that are basically doomed in captivity?

Thanks
Filtration animals generally do not find good environment in our overly "clean" aquariums. They feed on phytoplankton, zooplankton and micro-particulate organic matter most of the time, and can not compete with our skimmers and filter socks.

A new feeding process that is being developed by our forum companion @Jomama , maybe able to help ... we are following:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hthya-and-scleronephthya.364341/#post-4511034

Regards

PhreeByrd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it would be nice if stores stopped selling impossible-to-keep animals. Unfortunately, uninformed consumers keep buying them, so many stores keep stocking them. Like Jose said, our tanks are generally too clean for them to thrive without some assistance.
It is possible to keep coco worms, but they require frequent target feeding. Most SPS coral foods such as cyclopeze or reef roids are appropriate foods for them, as are phytoplankton.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it would be nice if stores stopped selling impossible-to-keep animals. Unfortunately, uninformed consumers keep buying them, so many stores keep stocking them. Like Jose said, our tanks are generally too clean for them to thrive without some assistance.
It is possible to keep coco worms, but they require frequent target feeding. Most SPS coral foods such as cyclopeze or reef roids are appropriate foods for them, as are phytoplankton.

Sounds like I should move her to my nano - I feed phytoplankton to that tank regularly. Thanks.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration animals generally do not find good environment in our overly "clean" aquariums. They feed on phytoplankton, zooplankton and micro-particulate organic matter most of the time, and can not compete with our skimmers and filter socks.

A new feeding process that is being developed by our forum companion @Jomama , maybe able to help ... we are following:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hthya-and-scleronephthya.364341/#post-4511034

Regards

Maestro, still trying to perfect my luxor, snake oil. I might call it "Tree of algae". LOL. I'm kidding. But I am on it. Progress looks promising.

Kamden Uelton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. These Animals are not impossible, They just need the right setup. I keep 3 crinoids that are considered "Impossible" and I have seen them reproduce
2. A Feather duster is most likely picky like a crinoid, I do not think it will be able to take the Phytoplankton out of the water. It would need a larger food.

I feed Brightwell Aquatics Blizzard-O and I use KZ Sponge Power, The Blizzard-O is used 3-4 times a day 2x in the morning and 1-2x at night.

Good Luck!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have regular feather dusters that are doing well (ie growing in size). I found information that suggested cocoworms are more difficult than typical feather dusters. We'll see how I do with this one. Fingers crossed.

mcpeachy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. These Animals are not impossible, They just need the right setup. I keep 3 crinoids that are considered "Impossible" and I have seen them reproduce
2. A Feather duster is most likely picky like a crinoid, I do not think it will be able to take the Phytoplankton out of the water. It would need a larger food.

I feed Brightwell Aquatics Blizzard-O and I use KZ Sponge Power, The Blizzard-O is used 3-4 times a day 2x in the morning and 1-2x at night.

Good Luck!
how to you feed them? target feed them? turn the protein skimmer off? i get kind of sick of sticking my hand in the tank so any ideas to avoid that like a long pippette?

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back