Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heaters (above 50W) are out of stock everywhere? Is this product being discontinued?

I loved my Neo-Therm but it quit working after 4 years and so far I'm having troubles finding a heater for a 20G & 29G aquarium that is as accurate. I have my current heater set at the lowest temp (71 F) and my tank is always around 80-82F.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Scubafrog

Scubafrog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 300w today.. also noticed they're out of stock everywhere. Got one of the last ones on Amazon. We've had a freakish cold snap up here in the NE U.S. My heater gave up the ghost and the neo-therm is the one I wanted to begin with.... but it was out of stock back then too ;Vomit

Avast

Montiman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is many times US distribution with overseas manufacturing requires delivery of large lots only a few times a year. If the shipment gets caught up in customs or there was a tooling change this can cause a multi month shortage of the product. This happens all of the time.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

Orm Embar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't heard about that? Exploding?

There are various reports of Neo-Therms leaking black, viscous goo. I don't know the absolute risk, but I've seen too many threads mentioning this to feel comfortable with one in my tank.

In fairness, no heater is really safe (use controllers), but I go with Eheim Jager. They do run on the long/large size, which is inconvenient.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are various reports of Neo-Therms leaking black, viscous goo. I don't know the absolute risk, but I've seen too many threads mentioning this to feel comfortable with one in my tank.

In fairness, no heater is really safe (use controllers), but I go with Eheim Jager. They do run on the long/large size, which is inconvenient.

dang! It's already shipped. My own fault for not doing better research. I'm normally so stingy. I was all proud of myself for biting the bullet and paying the premium for the "best" this time... Doh!

Montiman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Except no more Eheims are being imported into the US

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! It's already shipped. My own fault for not doing better research. I'm normally so stingy. I was all proud of myself for biting the bullet and paying the premium for the "best" this time... Doh!
I thought I was doing the same when setting up my 90gal. It’s a true premium compared to other heaters, it’s a shame this issue is still happening. I went with a finnex titanium with no temp control, one less thing to go wrong. Connected to an industrial temp controller, a Ranco, super reliable, it’s what food/beverage production uses for temp control, as well as public aquariums. It’s like an ink bird on steroids that will never break.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was doing the same when setting up my 90gal. It’s a true premium compared to other heaters, it’s a shame this issue is still happening. I went with a finnex titanium with no temp control, one less thing to go wrong. Connected to an industrial temp controller, a Ranco, super reliable, it’s what food/beverage production uses for temp control, as well as public aquariums. It’s like an ink bird on steroids that will never break.
I just had a finnex die on me after 3 months, but it just faded away, never malfunctioned. Can't really complain. Fail "on" is all I really worry about.. well, that and now toxic black goo

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a finnex die on me after 3 months, but it just faded away, never malfunctioned. Can't really complain. Fail "on" is all I really worry about.. well, that and now toxic black goo
Which one? Did it have its own temp control? I’ve heard a few stories of those going bad.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back