Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two frostbite clowns and they are about a year or so old. They have started acting odd and I was wondering if this is possibly breeding behaviour. They used to host my return pump head however now they like hiding on a edge I have as well as they have been cleaning a few spots on the rock.

I am not sure if they are old enough to breed but just curious.

OP
OP
Rose Garden Reef 96

Rose Garden Reef 96

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two frostbite clowns and they are about a year or so old. They have started acting odd and I was wondering if this is possibly breeding behaviour. They used to host my return pump head however now they like hiding on a edge I have as well as they have been cleaning a few spots on the rock.

I am not sure if they are old enough to breed but just curious.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be, or not. Hard to say without a video of the cleaning.
When they are about to breed they will both start pecking aggressively at the same spot till the rock becomes almost white from it being so clean, which is quite noticeable. Usually they only need the female to be around 1.5 years old, but they will also need a few go arounds as they usually eat the first couple of batches as well as making larger nests as they get better at it (if you plan on even trying to raise them)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Rose Garden Reef 96

Rose Garden Reef 96

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are about to breed they will both start pecking aggressively at the same spot till the rock becomes almost white from it being so clean, which is quite noticeable. Usually they only need the female to be around 1.5 years old, but they will also need a few go arounds as they usually eat the first couple of batches as well as making larger nests as they get better at it (if you plan on even trying to raise them)

I would like to try and breed them as well as raise the fry eventually. I feel like they are just being clowns right now but just was feeling a little hopeful.
I tried adding a video but for some reason it just won’t add to the post.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a video but i dont see any cleaning behavior and they arent hosting a certain section of the tank which would indicate breeding intentions as well. Also the rocks look pretty white so you either moved tanks recently, or bought slightly older clowns I would guess, neither being a bad thing just takes more time to breed after fish are moved.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back