Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about my clownfish?, it poops long white strings occasionally like every 4-5 days, but has no signs of slowing down, both of them eats like a pig lol, I only feed pellet foods about three times a day and 3-4 pellets each clown, they are both juveniles.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely could be internal parasites or intestinal worms. Is there any signs of weight loss or loss of coloration in the fish? With both of the mentioned issues, it won't slow down their appetite.
no signs of weight loss actually, they're definitely larger when I got them which was 11 days ago, but they're slightly red? when I point my flashlight at them., but I don't think they're losing colors. Also read from a thread that it could be from high protein mainly because of the pellets, but I'm not sure about that,

BRS
OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely could be internal parasites or intestinal worms. Is there any signs of weight loss or loss of coloration in the fish? With both of the mentioned issues, it won't slow dow
no signs of weight loss actually, they're definitely larger when I got them which was 11 days ago, but they're slightly red? when I point my flashlight at them., but I don't think they're losing colors. Also read from a thread that it could be from high protein mainly because of the pellets, but I'm not sure about that,
any other signs that I should look for? they're not continuously pooping white, most of the time its brown poop

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to catch the stringy poop, and it looks brown when I took it out of the water, it also doesn't move
Typically, intestinal worms don’t cause stringy feces. The three most common causes are; bacteria, protozoans and diet related. It is pretty common in clownfish.
Are your fish tank raised or wild caught?
Can you post a short video so I can see how they are swimming?
Can you get done frozen brine shrimp to feed them? That isn’t a good food long term, but it does work like a laxative.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, intestinal worms don’t cause stringy feces. The three most common causes are; bacteria, protozoans and diet related. It is pretty common in clownfish.
Are your fish tank raised or wild caught?
Can you post a short video so I can see how they are swimming?
Can you get done frozen brine shrimp to feed them? That isn’t a good food long term, but it does work like a laxative.
Jay
I think they are wild caught since nobody breeds the regular ocellaris here but they have been quarantined before I got them from a trusted lfs.

Attachments

• VID_20211008_091728.mp4
    17.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Before assuming or being told parasites, By chance are you feeding either brine shrimp or Mysis shrimp or Both ? If so, often, it will mimic white stringy poop.
AS mentioned by Jay - Do the laxative method as an assiurance.

OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before assuming or being told parasites, By chance are you feeding either brine shrimp or Mysis shrimp or Both ? If so, often, it will mimic white stringy poop.
AS mentioned by Jay - Do the laxative method as an assiurance.
I only feed ocean nutrition pellets about 3-4 pellets per feeding session and I feed them three times a day but I reduced it to 2 pellets per fish now

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed ocean nutrition pellets about 3-4 pellets per feeding session and I feed them three times a day but I reduced it to 2 pellets per fish now
I'm not sure reducing the food is the way to go here. I have a Darwin clown a bit bigger than yours and I feed it about 25 NLS pellets per day. If the fish are acting hungry and eating what you are giving them, you should offer more. Try the brine shrimp, or at least introduce some other food item.

Do you have access to API's General Cure?

Jay
'

OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure reducing the food is the way to go here. I have a Darwin clown a bit bigger than yours and I feed it about 25 NLS pellets per day. If the fish are acting hungry and eating what you are giving them, you should offer more. Try the brine shrimp, or at least introduce some other food item.

Do you have access to API's General Cure?

Jay
'
Yep i can buy it from a lfs, it it safe for inverts?(api general cure)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i can buy it from a lfs, it it safe for inverts?(api general cure)
Sorry, no - General Cure is not really safe for invertebrates. Prazipro is, but that only handles some of the disease issues that it could be.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
O

Opticat

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no - General Cure is not really safe for invertebrates. Prazipro is, but that only handles some of the disease issues that it could be.

Jay
I. Don't think i can get my hands on prazi pro, can i dip sw with general cure for a couple of minutes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I. Don't think i can get my hands on prazi pro, can i dip sw with general cure for a couple of minutes?
Sorry, no - that won't be effective. Marine fish absorb medication by drinking their water, and the amount of water swallowed during a dip won't move enough medication to their gut to do any good.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back