Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown fish I purchased recently with a white bump on its chin. It's in a newly cycled tank and is the first fish in it but I think it already had it at store I just didn't see it at the time. Found a few other threads on here about people with similar issue. Just wanna get some opinions to confirm. Already have ordered kanaplex metroplex and focus to mix with food to treat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_20230110_180134026.jpg IMG_20230110_180137499.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a clown fish I purchased recently with a white bump on its chin. It's in a newly cycled tank and is the first fish in it but I think it already had it at store I just didn't see it at the time. Found a few other threads on here about people with similar issue. Just wanna get some opinions to confirm. Already have ordered kanaplex metroplex and focus to mix with food to treat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 2974777 View attachment 2974783
Fairly common with clowns especially when mating with another clown, fighting, cleaning rocks and even trying to move sand. Bumps subsides in a few days if these are causes. Keep an eye to confirm going down and not becoming infected

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly common with clowns especially when mating with another clown, fighting, cleaning rocks and even trying to move sand. Bumps subsides in a few days if these are causes. Keep an eye to confirm going down and not becoming infected
Thanks will do

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the steps to take if it doesn't go down? It's been 4 days since I first saw it and no signs of it going down but doesn't appear to be spreading. His appetite seems to be slowing down also.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What would be the steps to take if it doesn't go down? It's been 4 days since I first saw it and no signs of it going down but doesn't appear to be spreading. His appetite seems to be slowing down also.
If it is acyst and not a bump, you will want to quarantine and treat with seachem Kanaplex Or Maracyn 2 and add air stone for added oxygen and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is acyst and not a bump, you will want to quarantine and treat with seachem Kanaplex Or Maracyn 2 and add air stone for added oxygen and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit
Is adding kanaplex to food and option? I don't currently have qt.

BRS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should avoid Kanaplex in food if you don’t actually calculate the dose….it can be toxic if you overdose and ineffective if you under dose. The proper dose is 50mg per kg of fish weight daily for 3 to 5 days.
This is tough to calculate. There are a couple of files in the sticky section here. Sorry, I’m on my phone and can’t link them for you.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A quarantine is as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials and takes up little room. We all encounter a situation when a need for QT may be a difference of saving a given fish and highly recommended.
It is impossible in many cases to treat with the bare minimum method understanding budgets and such but essential to marine fish keeping.
As Jay stated- No Kanaplex to food- Many have been trying this and it has Not turned out well

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quarantine is as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials and takes up little room. We all encounter a situation when a need for QT may be a difference of saving a given fish and highly recommended.
It is impossible in many cases to treat with the bare minimum method understanding budgets and such but essential to marine fish keeping.
As Jay stated- No Kanaplex to food- Many have been trying this and it has Not turned out well
Ya I'm realizing how important qt tank is it was the next project on my list looks like it's going to be more of a priority now. Any size recommendations? Biggest fish I would have in it would be one of the smaller tang varieties most likely tomini.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ya I'm realizing how important qt tank is it was the next project on my list looks like it's going to be more of a priority now. Any size recommendations? Biggest fish I would have in it would be one of the smaller tang varieties most likely tomini.
20g preferably or even larger if budget allows in the event you have to take all fish out for fallow

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for filter will just hang on back work and what do you put in it? I know most medications say to remove carbon. Do I just run floss and foam? Or should I add bio media also?

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should avoid Kanaplex in food if you don’t actually calculate the dose….it can be toxic if you overdose and ineffective if you under dose. The proper dose is 50mg per kg of fish weight daily for 3 to 5 days.
This is tough to calculate. There are a couple of files in the sticky section here. Sorry, I’m on my phone and can’t link them for you.
Jay
Ya I'm not that good at math anyways thanks for the help.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
And for filter will just hang on back work and what do you put in it? I know most medications say to remove carbon. Do I just run floss and foam? Or should I add bio media also?
Good question- starter kit comes with hang on filter. Add an air stone for added oxygen.
For carbon, cut the top of the filter cartridge and shake out the carbon onto paper towel and save for later use. The cat ridge will entrap small micron particles

OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question- starter kit comes with hang on filter. Add an air stone for added oxygen.
For carbon, cut the top of the filter cartridge and shake out the carbon onto paper towel and save for later use. The cat ridge will entrap small micron particles
Alright thanks for your help

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Blake509

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np- goal is to get you to enjoy your tank and not be a stressor
She went in to qt today a few hours ago and it's already looking better. White discoloration is almost completely gone. Appetite back darting around grabbing food. Bump still remains but looks like it's headed in right direction. Thanks again

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
She went in to qt today a few hours ago and it's already looking better. White discoloration is almost completely gone. Appetite back darting around grabbing food. Bump still remains but looks like it's headed in right direction. Thanks again
Great to hear !!

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What's a good qt procedure for any future incoming fish?
With QT tank you can use either coppersafe or a Ruby Rally Bath and then coppersafe followed by PraziPro. With both, you want to maintain good water quality and monitor copper and ammonia with a reliable test kit such as hanna brand

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back