Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice on the following. Especially from @Jay Hemdal as I highly regard your input on this forum. I recently (2 days ago) noticed one of my caramel clownfish had a torn dorsal fin with a white blemish that is visible on both sides. See attached photo and video. I've had this little guy since July of last year. All of my fish have undergone a 60 day quarantine period during which they receive a Coppersafe and Prazipro treatment. This particular fish was also subjected to a Formalin dip due to what I suspected was Brooklynella (thanks to the help of Mr. Hemdal.). All of my coral is quarantined for 76 days before entering the display tank as well. This is the male of a pair, and he is otherwise acting and eating normally. I took the video after lights out, hence the strange behavior. I do not suspect he is the target of aggression from his partner or any other fish in the tank (two cardinalfish, a bristletooth tang, a chromis, and a blenny). I suspect this is some sort of bacterial infection. None of the other fish are showing any signs of distress.

The only change that I made recently was the addition of a homemade solution of Sodium Nitrate (food safe + rodi) in an effort to increase my nitrates. My aquarium had been running on zero nitrates for many months, and some of my corals were being negatively affected. I started dosing on December 22. I raised nitrates to between 5-6 ppm over the course of a few days. The parameters as of this evening are as follows (75 gallon AIO):

Salinity - 1.026 (refractometer)
Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.9 (Hanna)
Phosphate - 0.00 - 0.03 (Tropic Marine)
Alkalinity - 8.9 (Salifert)
Calcium - 465 (Salifert)
Magnesium - 1500 (Salifert)
PH - 8.3 (Milwakee MC120)

The fish receive pellets twice a day via an auto feeder (a mix of Hikari Marine S, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, and PE Mysis), and each evening receive a mix of frozen PE Mysis and Emerald Entrée (with the addition of Selcon and CoralAmino roughly every other day).

I did have two Chromis die of Uronema within a couple of days in quarantine so I assume my display tank may also have that (although the sole survivor of the trio has been doing just fine since July). The display tank also went fallow for over 76 days before adding any new fish or inverts.

So those are the facts. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

IMG-6744.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice on the following. Especially from @Jay Hemdal as I highly regard your input on this forum. I recently (2 days ago) noticed one of my caramel clownfish had a torn dorsal fin with a white blemish that is visible on both sides. See attached photo and video. I've had this little guy since July of last year. All of my fish have undergone a 60 day quarantine period during which they receive a Coppersafe and Prazipro treatment. This particular fish was also subjected to a Formalin dip due to what I suspected was Brooklynella (thanks to the help of Mr. Hemdal.). All of my coral is quarantined for 76 days before entering the display tank as well. This is the male of a pair, and he is otherwise acting and eating normally. I took the video after lights out, hence the strange behavior. I do not suspect he is the target of aggression from his partner or any other fish in the tank (two cardinalfish, a bristletooth tang, a chromis, and a blenny). I suspect this is some sort of bacterial infection. None of the other fish are showing any signs of distress.

The only change that I made recently was the addition of a homemade solution of Sodium Nitrate (food safe + rodi) in an effort to increase my nitrates. My aquarium had been running on zero nitrates for many months, and some of my corals were being negatively affected. I started dosing on December 22. I raised nitrates to between 5-6 ppm over the course of a few days. The parameters as of this evening are as follows (75 gallon AIO):

Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.9 (Hanna)
Calcium - 465 (Salifert)

The fish receive pellets twice a day via an auto feeder (a mix of Hikari Marine S, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, and PE Mysis), and each evening receive a mix of frozen PE Mysis and Emerald Entrée (with the addition of Selcon and CoralAmino roughly every other day).

I did have two Chromis die of Uronema within a couple of days in quarantine so I assume my display tank may also have that (although the sole survivor of the trio has been doing just fine since July). The display tank also went fallow for over 76 days before adding any new fish or inverts.

So those are the facts. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2960806View attachment 2960807

Probably bacterial infection. Still I can be wrong. You can refer this for bacterial infections

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.9 (Hanna)
Calcium - 465 (Salifert)

It can also be lympho. Plz provide a more clear photo

AS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.9 (Hanna)
Calcium - 465 (Salifert)

That is almost positively a fin split from an injury. It really doesn't look infected to me, perhaps just a bit at the base.

Even paired clownfish can squabble. What species of blenny do you have?

I don't see any pressing need to treat this right now, fin splits can take a long time to heal, and some never do.

Jay

OP
OP
Ahi Mahi

Ahi Mahi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably bacterial infection. Still I can be wrong. You can refer this for bacterial infections
Thanks for the reply, that’s what I was leaning towards but maybe Jay’s right and it was an injury that is a little infected.

OP
OP
Ahi Mahi

Ahi Mahi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is almost positively a fin split from an injury. It really doesn't look infected to me, perhaps just a bit at the base.

Even paired clownfish can squabble. What species of blenny do you have?

I don't see any pressing need to treat this right now, fin splits can take a long time to heal, and some never do.

Jay
Thanks for your reply. The blenny is a little bi-color blenny that spends most his time hiding in his rock hole, only popping out to eat and then go back in.

I’ll try and monitor the tank a bit and see if I catch any aggression from anyone. I’ll also hold off on taking any action as long as it doesn’t start looking worse.

OP
OP
Ahi Mahi

Ahi Mahi

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to send an update earlier, but in case anyone reads this and is wondering, the find and blemish healed within a couple of days and he is now doing fine. They pair also finally started hosting my LTA after 7 or 8 months of paying it zero attention. They evicted my pair of Banggai Cardinalfish who had previously been living in it. I am wondering if that was the related to the cause of the wound.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back